cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
blair1955
Level 7

Firewall shutting down Artemis!6405E651F7F4

Jump to solution

I have a Dell XPS laptop with Windows 7 Professional SP1, 64 bit OS with 8 gig of RAM. Starting about 2 nights ago the firewall started shutting down on it's own and I get the message "your computer is at risk" Last night I ran a full system scan and McAfee found 1 virus but didn't tell me the name of it. McAfee Security Center version 11.6 came pre installed on my computer and it's up to date and still have a couple yrs on my subscription. I ran a full system scan again this morning since I still have the same issue and it came up clean. What should I do next?

thanks..Blair

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 06/02/13 1:53:42 EST PM
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
exbrit
Level 21

Re: Firewall shutting down Artemis!6405E651F7F4

Jump to solution

You can either try uninstalling via Control Panel, then running the MCPR cleanup tool (Useful Links at the top of this page), reboot and reinstall from your account....

or...

Contact Technical Support via phone or online chat, it's free and also linked under Useful Links.

0 Kudos
9 Replies
exbrit
Level 21

Jump to solution

Perhaps the infection isn't gone.  You should be able to see the name of it in the Quarantine Folder.  Open SecurityCenter and click Navigation, then scroll down to Quarantined and trusted items and expand those areas.

Post whatever you see there.

I would run extra scans using Stinger and Malwarebytes Free, both listed in the last link in my signature below.

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 06/02/13 1:53:58 EST PM
0 Kudos
blair1955
Level 7

Jump to solution

thanks for the quick reply..I did the above and found Artemis!6405E651F7F4. So I did google it and found some third party Anti-Malware to download and install but don't know which one to trust. I don't want to make matters worse than what they are now.

Blair

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 06/02/13 1:54:22 EST PM
0 Kudos
exbrit
Level 21

Jump to solution

OK I moved this to that section and altered the headers accordingly.

Artemis is the name McAfee gives to unknowns which are submitted to the labs automatically for analysis.

I would run the software I recommended in the meanwhile.    The last link in my signature also gives some hints what to do in these situations.

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 06/02/13 4:30:32 EST PM
0 Kudos
blair1955
Level 7

Jump to solution

I've located the file and the name. It's awt43abr.exe. can it be as simple as to delete the file in C:\users\myname? the file is 290k in size...

0 Kudos
exbrit
Level 21

Jump to solution

If Malwarebytes Free doesn't detect anything then you should be OK.   I would wait for a verdict on the Artemis detection first.   It probably isn't as simple as that.

0 Kudos
blair1955
Level 7

Jump to solution

Malwarebytes did show all to be fine but I still can't keep the firewall turned on....again many thanks, Blair

0 Kudos
exbrit
Level 21

Jump to solution

You can either try uninstalling via Control Panel, then running the MCPR cleanup tool (Useful Links at the top of this page), reboot and reinstall from your account....

or...

Contact Technical Support via phone or online chat, it's free and also linked under Useful Links.

0 Kudos
showvik
Level 12

Jump to solution

Hi,

Artemis!6405E651F7F4 was classified as RDN/Ransom!a. Ransomware are capable of locking your machine with the ransom message so that you have no access to your files and programs. If this file was deleted, no other symptoms of infection are present and the OS is updated, you should be good. 

However, you may try our GetSusp tool to find and submit suspicious files from your machine. Here is the link to download it:

http://www.mcafee.com/us/downloads/free-tools/getsusp.aspx

After you have successfully submitted the samples, post the submission ID here.

Regards,

Showvik

0 Kudos
blair1955
Level 7

Jump to solution

showvik.. thank you for the reply. I did delete the file so hopefully I'll be okay. I think I still need to uninstall and reinstall McAfee since the firewall is still shutting down I just have not had the time. I may have a go at GetSusp tool as well ..Blair

0 Kudos