cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
bballa
Level 7

Firewall or realtime scan won't stay on...?

Hi,

I have gone through this community and saw similar problems with this, but I haven't seen a real solution given.

3 trojans got on my computer two days ago and I have been scanning since yesterday.  The first scan said that 3 were found and quaranteened and removed.  I ran a scan again the next day and now the realtime scan won't stay on even if I click it to stay on.  The same is true for the firewall. When I go to the home page the big red strip at the top pops up saying "Your compter is at risk !"  and the realtime scan and firewall is off.  I am running a scan again right now, but could it be that the viruses are disabling both?

Any help appreciated.

0 Kudos
6 Replies
newjack
Level 12

Re: Firewall or realtime scan won't stay on...?

I would try malwarebytes and see what it finds.You can download from malwarebytes.org or file hippo.com.If you have a problem Malwarebytes will probabley find it.There is also a mcafee stinger tool  & what you can try here

.https://community.mcafee.com/docs/DOC-1294

Message was edited by: newjack on 9/24/10 4:49:52 PM EDT
0 Kudos
bballa
Level 7

thanks !!

I ran the scan and it did find 3 and I deleted them.  I ran it a second time and everything was cleaned out.  I ran the McAfee scan and it too didn't find anything, but it is still having the realtime scan problem and it still turns off everytime I turn it on.  I'm going to try to reboot to see what happens.

0 Kudos
Blarton
Level 7

From today, for no apparent reason (no recent updates noticed) I have the same problem exactly.   Real time scanning turns off within a couple of second of turning it on again.   I can't get to the other pages of McAfee.   I ran Malwarebytes and it found 23 potentially malicious items (which McAfee had clearly let thorough).  I removed all these and re-booted but the same problem persists.  Come on McAfee!    -   this is clearly a significant problem.   We need a simple solution and an update which prevents it.   My McAfee comes as part of the BT Netprotect package.

0 Kudos
ConorD62
Level 12

Hello Blarton,

It is normal for Malwarebytes to find things Anti Viruses miss, because they are dedicated at finding malware, while Anti Viruses are on the look out for Spyware, and such.

Have you tried using Mcafee's Virtual Technician?

Would you mind posting the Malwarebytes log here, please?

0 Kudos
computercop
Level 7

I'm having the same problem with my laptop.  Started this morning.  Can only boot in safe mode and when I tried to run a scan, it took FOREVER and finally said it found nothing.  Tried running stinger and it also found nothing, but my laptop is obviously infected. 

0 Kudos
kdgjevre
Level 7

I am having the same problem. The Firewall wont stay turned on.  I have downloaded and run Malwarebytes twice now.  the 2nd time it was clean.  A full McAfee scan found 4 items and said it took care of those.  So now I have a clean Malwarebytes and a clean Mcafee Scann but the firewall wont stay turned on.  Windows 7 machine. Help Please.

0 Kudos