cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
lvplanet
Level 7

False positive with PortableAppsPlatform.exe

Hi,

I have Managed McAfee on my PC and it deletes PortableAppsPlatform.exe (downloaded from http://portableapps.com/download).

Since I hava Managed McAfee, I can't take any action to prevent this, so I no longer have the program on my PC.

Here is a screenshot:

Picture 2010-03-12 12_34_24.jpg

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
9 Replies
Mal09
Level 12

Re: False positive with PortableAppsPlatform.exe

PortableApps.com_Platform_Setup_1.6\$[31]\PortableApps.com\PortableAppsPlatform.exe    Artemis!0E1A49A03054

Looks like a false positive to me.

Have you followed the instructions for reporting false positives and/or submiited the file to Webimmune and been provided with a sample number?

0 Kudos
lvplanet
Level 7

I don't know how to submit the report, keep in mind that I have Managed McAfee on my PC, so I can take nearly no action.

0 Kudos
Mal09
Level 12

I've submitted a copy of that file to Avertlabs. Hopefully the false detection will be supressed.

0 Kudos
SamSwift
Level 12

Thanks for the heads up - we're investigating this right now.

Sam

0 Kudos
lvplanet
Level 7

How can I know when it will be solved? I disabled the McAfee service in the meanwhile, so my PC is unprotected at the moment.

0 Kudos
showvik
Level 12

Hi,

The issue should be resolved now. Kindly update to DAT 5920, Engine 5400.1158 using the Update manager and activate McAfee security. It should no longer trigger a detection for 'PortableAppsPlatform.exe'.

Thanks and Regards,

Showvik

0 Kudos
OracleX7
Level 7

Hi, I'm running McAfee Total Protection (or Security-as-a-Service or whatever you're calling it now) and it's picking up the PortableAppsPlatform.exe file as a trojan (Artemis just as above, only with a different set of hex digits after the name).

I submitted a copy to the McAfee Labs (submission analysis ID: 6186333).

Is it possible to have it so that this file is left up to the user to decide if it's safe or not rather than just deleting it?

0 Kudos
showvik
Level 12

Hi,

McAfee(R) Artemis technology provides real-time protection that secures enterprises and consumers from threats as they strike and much quicker than traditional signatures can be deployed. As Artemis is updated in real-time there is no requirement to wait for a full DAT update nor to use an EXTRA.DAT intermediate solution. Simply wait approximately 30 minutes and this false will no longer exist or trigger on your system. Depending on the network settings you have or the caching involved between your system and ours it may take slightly longer for this false alarm to be resolved.

Regards,

Showvik

McAfee Labs.

0 Kudos
TypeIError
Level 7

I have the same problem. I tried sending the file to McAfee, but get an error message "This item could not be sent to McAfee due to a network problem." Restoring the file just cycles through the problem again.

Is there a place we can tell McAfee to trust this program?

0 Kudos