cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
davidc1968
Level 7

False Artemis! BBB52B167B3C

Jump to solution

I have a trusted program that I have been using for years and now McAfee has decided its a Trojan.

Nobody seems to wnt to deal with it and resolve the isssue, I have been on live chat, who suggested they send a copy to virus_research, (which I have done now TWICE)

Not had any response or acknowledgement of receiving the suspect file (zipped 4MB exe program)

Getting frustrated with McAfee now as I need to run the program, which of cours I can do if I disable realtime scanning, but for obvious reasons that is not reccomended.

Is there a way to manually overide the program in the setting to "trust" it or do I have to wait for the .exe to be assessed and a patch released?

Dave

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
vinoo
Level 13

Re: False Artemis! BBB52B167B3C

Jump to solution

The file has been whitelisted. Give it ~25 mins for the false detection to go away.

Sorry it took so long to fix...

0 Kudos
14 Replies
exbrit
Level 21

Jump to solution

As it has been designated Artemis it means McAfee Labs already have a sample of it and hopefully will post here eventually.

You can take things into your own hands, however, see here:  https://community.mcafee.com/thread/2016

At the moment, exceptions can only be made if the object is designated as a PUP or Possibly Unwanted Programme, but we believe real-time scanning exceptions will be added as a feature soon, I know they are testing it

0 Kudos
davidc1968
Level 7

Jump to solution

thanks  Peter  (Ex_Brit)

I have already sent the file through the channels you linked to.

is there a timescale for these things? I know we are approaching the holidays so things may take a little longer.

Thanks

Dave

0 Kudos
exbrit
Level 21

Jump to solution

No particular time scale.  Especially right now with holidays looming.   I've seen them act in a day or so and in other cases take a week or more.

Hopefully one of their staff will take a pre-Christmas look at this section.

Good luck.

0 Kudos
davidc1968
Level 7

Jump to solution

This is an absolute joke.

Not heard a peep from McAfee even though I have sent the "false trojan" program numerous times.

The program is a remote control and programming for a radio device.

Each time I restore the "infected" file it still gets quarantined once it runs whilst connected via USB to the hardware.

Looks like its back to Nortons, along with other program users...

Not good customer service at all.

Peter, thanks for your help.

David.

0 Kudos
exbrit
Level 21

Jump to solution

When you submitted it you should have received an immediate auto-response and that is followed by a manual response when the labs had reached a conclusion.  If you didn't get that auto-response then it wasn't sent in the right format, zipped and password-protected using the password "infected" (minus the "").

I'll see if I can alert one of their staff to this thread.   I can't promise anything though.

Hopefully sometime this year we will get back our RTS exceptions that were taken away several years ago, but I realize that's cold comfort right now.

0 Kudos
exbrit
Level 21

Jump to solution

I should add, that, as I stated previously, the labs already have it anyway, but I do know they are backlogged.

I've just emailed my contact there but have no idea when they are on duty.

0 Kudos
davidc1968
Level 7

Jump to solution

I heve resent , zipped, password protected.

It was a 4Mb setup exe that I sent.

Are they able to deal with this or does it need to be in another format?

The emails I sed to are...

virus_research@avertlabs.com; virus_research@mcafee.com

Dave

0 Kudos
exbrit
Level 21

Jump to solution

Either address should work.  The first one was recently changed to the second one.  I just amended the post I did regarding Artemis to reflect that.   You should get an automated response almost immediately.

0 Kudos
davidc1968
Level 7

Jump to solution

I have just had my first acknowledgement from McAfee after resending it today,

things are looking up.....

Dave

0 Kudos