cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
shader00x
Level 7

False Artemis!61CA40317EBF

When I downloaded the adware removal tool ADWCleaner the tmp file of it got detected as Artemis!61CA40317EBF (Trojan)

Can you take a look at it? It’s a free tool that removes residue of browser hijackers and toolbars.

My colleagues and I use this tool a lot at our customers computers to clean them.

Also, this tool is updated quite frequently and an older version of the tool got identified with a different Artemis number.

Does this mean that every new version of the program will be detected as potential threat and moved to quarantine?

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Hayton
Level 18

Re: False Artemis!61CA40317EBF

AdwCleaner is reckoned to be safe to use. I download it from the BleepingComputer site, but it may be offered for download from other places. Where did you get it from?

I'll download from BC and run a check just to be sure it's okay

0 Kudos
shader00x
Level 7

From the their homepage: Downloads - AdwCleaner - ToolsLib

That is also where it is updated.

0 Kudos
Hayton
Level 18

I downloaded AdwCleaner from BleepingComputer and from the site you linked to. Both files are v4.1.0.7 and Chrome passed both for download without objection.

Scanned both files with McAfee, no problems. No Artemis detection on either one. I did a Scan without anything abnormal happening.

Both files were uploaded to VirusTotal for a second opinion. Results :

BleepingComputer download  3/54

ToolsLib download  3/52

Try downloading again and see if you get another Artemis detection

0 Kudos
shader00x
Level 7

Tried downloading it again (using both Firefox and chrome), and for some reason it doesn't detect it now.

At first I thought maybe because I added it to my exceptions list, but when I removed it there it still downloads without warning.

I did send it to the virus research email address, so maybe something happened there (although I did not get a response except the automated one).

Still weird though. I guess we'll see what happens when a new version comes out.

Thanks.

0 Kudos
Hayton
Level 18

AdwCleaner is widely used, so maybe one of the Lab guys saw the Artemis detection somewhere else and whitelisted the program about the same time you submitted the report. I think if the whitelisting had been because of your submission you would have been notified. As you say, we'll have to watch what happens when a new version is released.

0 Kudos