cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FakeAlert - stubborn infection

I need help. I have fake anti virus software on my computer. I have been on this board for about a month to try and get some help on removing it. I downloaded this updated stinger. I ran it in Very High mode and it did not detect anything. Is there something I am doing wrong or is the virus disabling the stinger? I think I have fake anti virus vista, but it seems like the virus keeps updating itself and changing names.

2 Replies
cpdp
Level 7
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 2 of 3

Re: McAfee Labs Stinger 10.1.0.728 RTW is now available - targeting specific common FakeAlert variants

Hi, if you look on some of the similar messages you will see others have experienced something similar, including me. The common thought is to run Malware Bytes that can be downloaded free from the internet at malwarebytes.org. I used something similar called Super Anti Spyware, which can be downloaded for free from superantispyware.com. Having said that I then had a problem with my .exe files in that they wouldnt open due to an issue in the registry. I was sent a file from McAfee that reinsated them and all is ok. I did then run Malware Bytes and still found 3 issues, which it has just deleted. It may be worth reading the information provided by McAfee on dealing with Malware as it seems a lot of people have been affected by something posing as a virus checker.  I am still trying to fully work out what I should use to kill something and what I should use to prevent an attack in additon to the McAfee antivirus I have installed so I am currently reading many of the postings to try to piece it all together. regards Chris

Message was edited by: cpdp on 29/03/10 12:00:10 CDT
Highlighted

Re: McAfee Labs Stinger 10.1.0.728 RTW is now available - targeting specific common FakeAlert variants

The virus may be running on the system boot, preventing Stinger from running properly.

If the new version of Stinger run in Safe mode still does not help, I suggest you try this approach: creating a clean bootable CD and running your scan from there.

Please read explanations carefully, as this is a powerful tool which needs to be used with caution:

http://community.mcafee.com/thread/6923

Hope that helps,

Irene

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community