Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 7

Facebook virus via adding an application

I kept getting these notifications that people were commenting on my photos, at one point I stupidly just decided to allow the application. Suddenly I sent like 80 notifications to people saying I commented on there photos. My computer runs slow. I think the google chrome directory is infected. Facebook does not load certain elements through chrome, but it does through firefox. I uninstalled, reinstalled chrome and it said that it could not install it in the normal chrome directory. After an hour of so of use my computer is slow as hell. Of course I've tried a full system scan through Mcafee and it finds nothing. I downloaded hijack this, nothing. When I restart my computer I see a blank screen with a flashing line at the bottom and it stalls for like a minute before it can start. This shouldn't be happening. I've tried seraching and this does not seem like the typical facebook viruses that have been described

My system information is attached if it's at all relevant. I also attached a hijackthis log

0 Kudos
1 Reply
Level 12

Re: Facebook virus via adding an application

Hi Mike,

Your machine has a *lot* of running processes at the moment - chrome is loaded 11 times according to your system log.

Have a look at this description of w32/koobface - as that's what you've most likely been hit with. We added detection for a new strain yesterday so please run an update and another scan as a first port of call.

Hope this helps,

0 Kudos