cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
kwilson83
Level 7

FALSE Artemis!4EBD6FF4FE3F

Jump to solution

I have submitted this via email to virus_research@mcafee.com as per instructions. I am also posting this here as also advised.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
vinoo
Level 13

Re: FALSE Artemis!4EBD6FF4FE3F

Jump to solution

Sorry about the delay. File has been whitelisted and the false detection should go away in ~10 mins.

Best,

Vinoo

0 Kudos
13 Replies
catdaddy
Level 20

Jump to solution

Please allow 4-5 business days for your Detection to be Analyzed/Prcosessed. If by then it is not resolved, please post back the Analysis ID # associated with your McAfee Confirmation. We can then contact a McAfee Technician/Engineer and quite possibly expedite the process.

I might add, that due to the high volume of detections (150,000 plus) daily and it being the Holidays.

Thank you,

All the Best

Catdaddy

McAfee Community Moderator

Cliff
McAfee Volunteer
0 Kudos
kwilson83
Level 7

Jump to solution

I think the greater concerns here, which hopefully are shared by other legitimate software companies, are:

1.  This is something new (it seems)... this heuristic approach to virus detection, because this has just begun to be a problem for us.  The file in question is a small executable that we created and distribute with our flagship product to facilitate software updates.  This file has been in use for 3 or 4 years and we've never had any problems.  Now we have customers reporting virus warnings and today, we started seeing this ourselves on our computers.

2.  This whole approach seems to reek of a "guilty-until-proven-innocent" mentality... which is completely un-American.  I realize that the proliferation of viruses is a major concern and something that keeps companies like McAfee on their toes... which is why we pay the prices we do for anti-virus software.  But this smells more like something that marketing folks thought up as a way to differentiate your products from your competitors.  Instead, it's causing a great amount of tension amongst our customer base, and is reflecting poorly upon us as though we're some virus generating software company.

3.  The fact that the remedy () has been distilled down to such a routine procedure is troubling and begs the question, why?

0 Kudos
catdaddy
Level 20

Jump to solution

While I can appreciate your comments and opinion. I am simply a "Volunteer" whom offers advice when time permits. You mentioned that it was your software? It may be beneficial to submit via this method: Detection Dispute Submission | McAfee Labs.

There could be lots of variables, the reason why suddenly the software is being detected.

Have you tried submitting it to www.virustotal.com and see if it is being detected by other Anti-Virus Engines? In any case, I wish you the very best, throughout this Holiday season. It is quite possible that someone patrolling the Forums, will pick up this thread and add to the discussion.

Again,

All the very Best,

Catdaddy

Consumer Products

Cliff
McAfee Volunteer
0 Kudos
exbrit
Level 21

Jump to solution

We can't answer those questions here in these forums as they are basically peer-to-peer support.   You'd have to write to McAfee at a Corporate level.

See the "Contact Us" at the bottom of this or any other support page.

Alternatively you could suggest product changes HERE for Consumer products or HERE for Corporate products.

Toronto ▪ Canada
Volunteer Moderator - Consumer Products
I CAN'T HELP PRIVATELY - PLEASE POST IN THE FORUMS
Use Advanced Search To Find Answers

Consumer Technical Support (alter Country @ top right as needed)

Consumer Customer Service (Accounts, Billing, Registration, etc.)

How To Uninstall/Reinstall McAfee Consumer Products EXCEPT Anti-Theft
How To Submit A False Detection To McAfee
Beta Test McAfee Products For PC & MAC
Anti-Spyware/Malware/Hijacker Tools

0 Kudos
kwilson83
Level 7

Jump to solution

Please don't misunderstand.  I'm not coming down on you.  In fact, I see your activity in this forum and appreciate that you volunteer to help us out.  I will do as you suggest.  Thanks.  Merry Christmas.

0 Kudos
exbrit
Level 21

Jump to solution

Merry Christmas to you too ;-)  BTW I missed a link out - just corrected the above post.

0 Kudos
kwilson83
Level 7

Jump to solution

I've heard nothing about this yet.  This is the analysis id I received from McAfee when I submitted it:  Analysis ID: 9242039

0 Kudos
catdaddy
Level 20

Jump to solution

I was just about to shut down. Please know that I have pinged a McAfee Labs Tech in regards to your Analysis ID # as Promised. Thank you for your Patience in regards to your Artemis! Issues.

All the very Best,

Catdaddy

Consumer Products

Cliff
McAfee Volunteer
0 Kudos
vinoo
Level 13

Jump to solution

Sorry about the delay. File has been whitelisted and the false detection should go away in ~10 mins.

Best,

Vinoo

0 Kudos