Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Reliable Contributor catdaddy
Reliable Contributor
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 11 of 20

Re: FALSE Artemis!4434F3C22855

Jump to solution

Due to the (Fact) I have taken every step possible to assist and get a resolution to your issue. And McAfee Labs has indeed found your software to be clean of any malicious content. I am marking this as *Correctly Answered* and locking.

If you have any further issues moving forward, Please start a new thread.

Cliff
McAfee Volunteer
Highlighted

Jump to solution

If you are unable to give us any technical details, just say so.

Reliable Contributor
Message 13 of 20

Jump to solution

I just did...Please read.  There is no sense in *Shooting the Messenger * if you will.

I also would assume that you are asking other Security Vendors these same questions?

Cliff
McAfee Volunteer

Jump to solution

Ok, you have done what is in your powers. I respect that.

What I hoped for was an answer like:

- Last week malware X was detected in the world and your application matched some of its behaviours

or

- Your application behaves such and such, that is suspicious even though It was signed.

or

- Make sure you do this and this and then it will probably be fine with all major AV solutions

Contacting every AV company out there individually and/or implement AV company specific steps in our production process is going to be a big hassle for every release of our software.

EDIT:
I also ask this to some other companies.

McAfee did score points with actually responding

Kaspersky was a bot, Avast no reaction

Reliable Contributor
Message 15 of 20

Jump to solution

I am most knowledgeable in regards to McAfee Labs, as I work very closely with them on a daily basis. I am not privy to devulge their particular methodology/or policies in regards to their decisions. I am certain you can understand.

Please take a look at this (FAQ) and hopefully this will assist you in your future endeavors.

McAfee Corporate KB - How to submit your company's software to be considered for validation against ...

As I stated earlier, I have done all I can do. I have assisted in getting your detection suppressed, and escalated it earlier than following protocol which I should have. I now digress and will appropiately close this thread as it has been addressed.

Thank you

And all the BEST

CD

Cliff
McAfee Volunteer
Reliable Contributor
Message 16 of 20

Jump to solution

Thanks for the *Kudos*

We sincerely try.

Cliff
McAfee Volunteer
Reliable Contributor
Message 17 of 20

Jump to solution

I have unlocked this discussion as the Incident Response Coordinator wants to address your concerns. I hope you find his correspondence most *Helpful*..

"I'm sorry it's been such a bumpy path to resolution.  The reason signing the files didn't solve the problem, is because we didn't trust your signature. (Because we didn't know about it, and it's a new signature, so it has no history to draw from)  Signing something doesn't make it "good", as malware authors try to sign some of their files too.  What it does, is allow us to review an application, and white-list it more broadly, more easily, once we have decided to trust it. It's an extra step for us to trust based upon the digital signature, but one that pays off in the end, for both sides.

This usually would be the responsibility of our white-listing team, so I'll pass the information over to them for review.

Signing the binaries is the first step, but in addition, when you are ready to release new software, you should submit it to us as well, so we can review/white-list before it's posted. This can further avoid some of the back and forth you've seen this time around. "

The white-listing program is outlined here:
McAfee Corporate KB - How to submit your company's software to be considered for validation against ...

And, if it's classified as a PUP, this process here:

McAfee Corporate KB - How to submit samples when an application vendor disputes a PUP detection KB85...

Hope this helps, and I'll post back here when I get word back on trusting your digital signature. (it's not a given that we will trust it, it must be reviewed thoroughly, and takes some time)

- David

Cliff
McAfee Volunteer
McAfee Employee dmeier
McAfee Employee
Message 18 of 20

Jump to solution

I've heard back from the white-listing team, and they indicate that there is a minimum threshold of 10 files to white-list based upon digsig.  We have 7.  Might you have other files that are signed with the same signature that we can add to the list to get this one for you? 

- David

Jump to solution

I can send you some signed files from my local development build.

Where can I upload?

McAfee Employee dmeier
McAfee Employee
Message 20 of 20

Jump to solution

We can give it a try, sure.  I will PM you the link to upload.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community