cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
chrisba
Level 7

FAKE MICROSOFT SECURITY ESSENTIALS ALERT TROJAN

I have been lumbered with a trojan which gives me a fake alert from Microsoft Security Essentials saying I have an "Unknown Win32/Trojan" and inviting me to scan for anti virus software which will remove it (obviously rogue software).  I cannot run any programs such as Firefox or open any files.

What is thje best way of getting rid of this-I saw a post on another question which suggests downloading software from malwarebytes..

Any suggestions

Many thanks

Chris

0 Kudos
5 Replies
exbrit
Level 21

Re: FAKE MICROSOFT SECURITY ESSENTIALS ALERT TROJAN

Why are you asking in a McAfee Security Forum if it's to do with MSE?

I hope that you aren't running both as that could leave your system wide open to infection.

If MSE is falsely detecting something then I assume they have some mechanism to report it.

I located this page which seems to have links for that:  http://www.microsoft.com/security_essentials/support.aspx?mkt=en-us#mainNav

Malwarebytes free version is usually a good one to try in such cases and make sure you update it before running.

Edit:  If I misunderstood and you don't actually have MSE installed then sorry about that, but still run the MBAM Free application.

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 23/09/10 8:44:44 EDT AM
0 Kudos
chrisba
Level 7

No, for the benefit of other readers I am not running Microsoft Security Essentials ( and I am aware that this is a McAfee forum for McAfee users-after all I have signed up to it)..The trojan flags a screen with a fake MSE message. It has absolutely nothing to do with the security software you are using.

0 Kudos
exbrit
Level 21

I did add the edit to my post.  You'd be amazed at some of the questions we get though.

Did you try running Malwarebytes free?

There is also an excellent removal guide here:  http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/virus-removal/remove-fake-microsoft-security-essentials-alert

Scroll down the page as those links you see at first are all adverts.

0 Kudos
chrisba
Level 7

Thank you for the final link. It is spot on and very clearly written. I am going to give it a try.

0 Kudos
exbrit
Level 21

OK, good luck.  That forum is an excellent source of knowledge.

0 Kudos