cancel
Showing results forΒ 
Search instead forΒ 
Did you mean:Β 

External Hard drive virus problems

Ewww! I seemed to have stepped in something. πŸ™‚

In the last 2 or 3 days my Antivirus software has found about 3 viruses (Adware stuff) on my External hard drive. Each time I have told the software to delete it. That should have taken care of the problem but I still did a scan on it.

I don't think it's normal for my computer to continue to be getting infected like this. The virus is being detected in the G:\System Volume information folder. The infected file number in the last detection was "\restore (9A48D400-87C-4E7F-B2AD-41305654F810)\RP16\A0007148.lnk". (I'm not all that savy about what's going on here but the file number kind of looks like a hexadecimal number.)

I went to the folder and couldn't access it (go figure that!)

I know how I got infected and that was entirely my fault. I let a friend use my external hard drive (doh!). I'm posting this because it seems to keep coming back and I need to know how I can kill this virus. Any ideas?

Karl
9 Replies
Reliable Contributor exbrit
Reliable Contributor
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 2 of 10

RE: External Hard drive virus problems

That indicates that the adware (probably not a virus) is trapped in the System Restore folder.

Normally disabling System Restore and rebooting would rid you of it, but how do you end up having restore folders on an external drive?

Such folders aren't deletable as Windows itself protects them.

What is your operating system and service pack information and are you up to date with Microsoft updates?

Also which is drive G? Is that the external drive, if so what are you using it for?

I moved this by the way from "Test your posting skills" to the correct area.

External Hard drive virus problems

Whoops! I'm making you read my mind again. What? You can't do that? πŸ™‚

I was at viruscan9 before I renewed in July/Aug. I believe it's at viruscan 10. I tried getting the version number through my security center but it didn't seem to work. I'm working on a Toshiba laptop and running windows XP.

The external hard drive is G:\. I use it to store files that I want to keep, thus keeping my laptop clean. As far as rebooting, I just realized that I keep my external hard drive on all the time. The problem may be that I turn the laptop off and keep the external hard drive turned on, still connected to the laptop.

Either way, I thought I'd give you the last few events recorded on my Security Center:

11-06-07 Adware-LNK.gen
11-05-07 Adware-LNK.gen
11-05-07 Adware-Cometsys
10-26-07 Adware-Starware
10-26-07 Adware-LNK.gen
10-26-07 Adware-LNK.gen
10-26-07 Adware-Cometsys
10-26-07 Adware-Starware
10-26-07 Adware-Cometsys
10-26-07 Adware-LNK.gen
10-26-07 Adware-LNK.gen

Karl
Reliable Contributor
Message 4 of 10

RE: External Hard drive virus problems

Go to Start/Run and enter winver then click OK. Post what it says.

If your taskbar icon is right-click it and then go to each application and click "About" - post results.

If your taskbar icon is double-click it to open Security Center and then click "About" at the lower right of the frame and post results from each module.

My initial reaction would be to format the hard drive as there most definitely should not be any "restore" folders on that drive, they belong only on the system drive. I suspect whomever you lent it to has loaded it with some rubbish.

You wont get very far with anti-virus/adware scanners but you can certainly try, especially as an external drive can't be scanned in safe mode.

Here's a couple of free anti-spyware tools:

http://www.superantispyware.com/superantispywarefreevspro.html

http://free.grisoft.com/doc/20/lng/us/tpl/v5

Try scanning with those and see what happens.

VirusScan 9 is obsolete and VirusScan 10 is shortly to become obsolete so I would advise you to think about upgrading.

External hard drive virus pro lems

My Windows version:

ver. 5.1 (Build 2600.xpsp_sp2_gdr.070227-2254:Servicepack 2

My McAfee version:

Version 11.2
Build 11.2.124

I will try those but first I want to try and turn everything off and see if that works.

Karl
Reliable Contributor
Message 6 of 10

RE: External hard drive virus pro lems

That sounds a lot better. Let me know what the scans do.

External Hard Drive virus problems

I downloaded the Super anti spyware software and ran it on both my C:\ drive and my G:\ drive.

It didn't find anything. But I e-mailed the link you gave me to my friend and they ran it too. The software found several things on thier computer and so I'm glad they got that fixed. (what are friends for but sharing?) πŸ™‚

I turned my Laptop off and then my External Hard Drive. Then I turned the Laptop back on and after a while I turned on my External Hard Drive. It looks like that may have done the job.

Shesh! That was just plain spooky.

Karl
Reliable Contributor
Message 8 of 10

RE: External Hard Drive virus problems

So you are OK now? Glad to here it. Can I mark this one solved?

External Hard Drive virus problems

Yep, that seems to have done the trick. Something else about this little bugger was that it changed my security settings in IE Explorer. I had to go back in and reset them to my desired security level.

Thanks for the help.

Karl
Reliable Contributor
Message 10 of 10

RE: External Hard Drive virus problems

That's good. If you need any tools for future reference, the ones here are all free: http://community.mcafee.com/showthread.php?t=136913

Good luck.

Thread closed.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community