cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Explorer.exe doing screen captures

Hi,

I have a problem where a process is constantly doing screen captures, slowing down my system. I have Mcafee latest DAT but it has not able to detect any malware. I installed Rapport software few days back. It has reported that explorer.exe is doing screen captures of the browser and that it has blocked the process from screen capturing the browser pages. When I run Mcafee Rootkit Detective, I see one entry in the hooked export/imports -

Export: Function: ADVAPI32.DLL!RegOpenKeyW => 01890000 + 0xfef

Module path - 01890000 + 0xfef

The PID reported here is related to explorer.exe

Is this a malware, if yes why Mcafee is not detecting it?

Regards,

Pratap

3 Replies
anandd
Level 9
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 2 of 4

Re: Explorer.exe doing screen captures

Hi Pratap,

Please send us the suspicious sample/files for analysis, in a password-protected ZIP file (password - infected).

You can find detailed instructions for how to do this at <http://vil.mcafeesecurity.com/vil/submit-sample.aspx>

We will forward the samples to senior research engineers for further review and let you know the results.

If you can provide any additional information, please do so.

Regards,

Anand

Thanks Anand. I uploaded the file on WebImmune - Analysis ID: 5833900

According to findings, there is no malware detected. More information on this problem (Apart from the one in the thread above) -

My laptop does not boot up when I switch on the power, unless I press F1 immediately.

The Control-C does not work if there a larger time gap between pressing control and C (It has to be really quick control and C to allow a copy).

Both these problems and the print screen one are connected. Because I had a brief period of time when these problems disappeared together, after I installed a Java update (Or possibly Windows patches). But it has come back and the same trick of updating Java or windows patch do not work this time.

Explorer.exe also tried to access the internet. Is it normal?

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community