Source:        Microsoft-Windows-Security-Auditing

Date:          3/7/2013 6:35:11 PM

Event ID:      4797

Task Category: User Account Management

Level:         Information

Keywords:      Audit Success

User:          N/A

Computer:      sara

An attempt was made to query the existence of a blank password for an account.

Security ID:                    sara\Mark

Account Name:                    Mark

Account Domain:                    sara

Logon ID:                    0x2FBFF

Additional Information:

Caller Workstation:          SARA

Target Account Name:          Guest

Target Account Domain:          sara

Literally get at least a hundred of these a day...also along with event's 4672,4624,4634,4648(logon was attempted with explicit credintials)

Looked around online and seems like this is a common theme with win8...doesn't matter which version and no one has any idea what it's for. These entries post usually after im already logged into my account. Mcafee antivirius plus is up-to-date, along with windows...did full scans and came back with nothing. If you look at additional info you see it's targeting my guest account which is disabled, also have logs for admin account and the account I use, along with some other weird domains like homegroup$

any help or thoughts would be appreciated just trying to make sure this is just a bug microsoft needs to figure out!

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Level 17

Re: Event ID 4797

Microsoft forums no help at all :

They're all mystified. They posted to Microsoft, Kaspersky, Avast, and How-To Geek Forums, and no help from any of them. All scans return clean results. It's unlikely to be a rootkit.

it doesn't appear to be malicious or external. Its Windows being a dumb ass. Or there's a genius reason for it and I just don't get it..

0 Kudos
Level 7

Re: Event ID 4797

yea checked out all those forums also...seems to be a re-occuring theme with anyone using win8, others have posted they re-imaged and then without hooking up there lan are still getting it so looks like its OS problem....

0 Kudos