cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Email submission to False Positive Test Rig blocked: 550 Denied by policy

Jump to solution

As recommended in McAfee Knowledge Base Technical Article KB85568 (https://kc.mcafee.com/corporate/index?page=content&id=KB85568), we submit our installer executable to datasubmission@mcafee.com for whitelisting whenever we release a new version. I’ve been able to do this with no trouble for months, most recently on Mar 26. Today, Mar 31, my email is being blocked by datasubmission@mcafee.com with this message: “550 Denied by policy”.

What should I do to submit files to the False Positive Test Rig? Instead of email submissions, I’d be happy to upload files to the False Submission FTP site – but in order to do this, I need an account, and according to KB85568, I need to email datasubmission@mcafee.com in order to get an account.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions

Re: Email submission to False Positive Test Rig blocked: 550 Denied by policy

Jump to solution

As best as I can determine, my issue with emailing datasubmission@mcafee.com is resolved. I just emailed datasubmission@mcafee.com in connection with another software release, and I also sent a separate email to request an account for the False Submission FTP site mentioned in KB85568. So far, both emails appear to have gone through with no problem.

9 Replies
Reliable Contributor catdaddy
Reliable Contributor
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 2 of 10

Jump to solution

I will contact a Engineer from McAfee Labs on your behalf and hopefully he can add to the discussion. I will apprise you of any correspondence I receive back.

Also,could this be a Email Client issue? Since it was working in prior instances. I have sent an email regardless.

Cliff
McAfee Volunteer

Jump to solution

> could this be a Email Client issue?

Unlikely, but I can’t rule it out. We didn’t take any actions to change our email system between Mar 26 and today – which doesn't necessarily mean that our email system didn’t change, just that we did nothing to change it. As for an email client issue, I’ve been using Mail on OS X / macOS this entire time – nothing exotic. We’re using G Suite (Gmail for business) for email.

Reliable Contributor
Message 4 of 10

Jump to solution

I see, Hopefully we will hear some back from my contact in short order.

Did you Zip and Password protect the files you sent?

Cliff
McAfee Volunteer

Jump to solution

I never send any files with my emails to datasubmission@mcafee.com, I just include a direct download link for the installer executable.

Reliable Contributor
Message 6 of 10

Jump to solution

The only reason I asked is in order for any detection/installer/etc to be suppressed/whitelisted on the *Consumer* side of the equation. One has to zip it and password protect the submission using the word   infected    . They also  have a Link for software developers to submit their software also.

However you seem to have been able to submit prior to this sudden change. I will contact the Engineer once again. being the weekend may be the reason he has not responded yet.

All the best

CD

Cliff
McAfee Volunteer

Jump to solution

> in order for any detection/installer/etc to be suppressed/whitelisted on the *Consumer* side of the equation. One has to zip it and password protect the submission using the word   infected    

I understand, but I’m not on the consumer side of the equation – I’m not a licensee of any McAfee product. (I’m pretty sure that the steps outlined in KB85567 don’t apply to me for this reason.)

> They also  have a Link for software developers to submit their software also.

I wasn’t aware of this – can you send a link? If there’s an alternate way to submit files to the False Positive Test Rig, I’ll happily use it. The only online form for software developers (not customers) that I’m aware of is the McAfee Detection Dispute Submission Form, but this isn’t applicable at this time – I don’t need to dispute a detection, rather I need to submit an executable to the False Positive Test Rig.

To be honest, McAfee’s whitelisting framework strikes me as a bit makeshift and improvised. An online form (for whitelisting, not for detection disputes) like what Symantec offers would be more convenient than the current system.

Jump to solution

As best as I can determine, my issue with emailing datasubmission@mcafee.com is resolved. I just emailed datasubmission@mcafee.com in connection with another software release, and I also sent a separate email to request an account for the False Submission FTP site mentioned in KB85568. So far, both emails appear to have gone through with no problem.

Reliable Contributor
Message 9 of 10

Jump to solution

That is Great So can we now consider this to be Answered?

Thanks

CD

Cliff
McAfee Volunteer

Jump to solution

Sure.

MPower Badge Now Available
Customers attending MPower can earn a community badge. Check into the MPower forum and say hi to have the badge awarded to your community profile.