cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dr Watsons Postmortem Debugger and other problems

I am not sure if this is the right section but I need help.

I was burning a couple cds for my daughter using music that I had ripped from a cd when Windows Media Player came up with a box saying that they had encountered a problem and needed to close. I clicked dont send when asked if I wanted to report it. Straight after that, a box saying that Dr Watsons Postmortem Debugger (spelling?) had encountered a problem and had to close. I clicked send when asked if I wanted to report it. My media player and the dialogue boxes froze on my screen. I maximised my firefox and googled it and from what I read I am more confused and not sure whether it is supposed to be there or not and if it is a carrier of a virus/trojan.

I closed my MSN conversation window and that also froze on my screen along with my firefox window. I opened my McAfee and started a scan.

The scan took 4 hours and it was only 45% complete. Also my screen saver had come up and when I hit the spacebar to clear it everything around the McAfee box was black. I could see no icons at all. This resolved itself once I was abe to close my media player.

I did not finish the scan since it updated while scanning and come up with McAfee was not protected. I clicked on the button to check the protection and after fixing it, I got nothing but a blank screen when I attempted to get back to the scan screen.

Since turning it on today it had been extremely slow. It also takes me a while to fix my protection since everytime I turn it on it tells me it is not protected.

I was wondering if you could please help me resolve this. Basically, what is Dr Watson Postmortem Debugger and should I be worried about it? What can I do if I did get a trojan/virus from it? Should I try a program like Spy Bot to scan my computer or something similar like in the sticky up the top of the forum?

Help please. Thank you and sorry for the length of this.
5 Replies
melboy
Level 7
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 2 of 6

RE: Dr Watsons Postmortem Debugger and other problems

Quote: "By default, Windows NT used a 32-bit version of Dr. Watson as a post mortem debugger. The Dr. Watson log obtained from application users can be useful to the developers of the application in determining the cause of failure."

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/121434

It wouldn't hurt things to download MBAM, to see if it finds anything.Post the log back here if it does.

download Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, save it to your desktop.

Make sure you are connected to the Internet.
Double-click on Download_mbam-setup.exe to install the application.
When the installation begins, follow the prompts and do not make any changes to default settings.
When installation has finished, make sure you leave both of these checked:
Update Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware
Launch Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware
Then click Finish. MBAM will automatically start and you will be asked to update the program
before performing a scan. If an update is found, the program will automatically update itself.
Press the OK button to close that box and continue.

On the Scanner tab:
Make sure the "Perform Quick Scan" option is selected. Then click on the Scan button.
The next screen will ask you to select the drives to scan. Leave all the drives selected
and click on the Start Scan button. The scan will begin and "Scan in progress" will show at the
top. It may take some time to complete so please be patient. When the scan is finished, a message
box will say "The scan completed successfully. Click 'Show Results' to display all objects found".
Click OK to close the message box and continue with the removal process. Back at the main Scanner
screen, click on the Show Results button to see a list of any malware that was found. Make sure
that everything is checked, and click Remove Selected. When removal is completed, a log report
will open in Notepad and you may be prompted to restart your computer. : (see Note below) The log
is automatically saved and can be viewed by clicking the Logs tab in MBAM.
NOTE:
If MBAM encounters a file that is difficult to remove, you will be presented with 1 of 2 prompts.
Click OK to either and let MBAM proceed with the disinfection process.
If asked to restart the computer, please do so immediately.
Failure to reboot will prevent MBAM from removing all the malware.

I managed to finally get McAfee to scan without taking forever or freezing. It came back clean with nothing detected. I will give your suggestion a go though since better safe than sorry. I will let you know how it goes.
melboy
Level 7
Message 4 of 6

Ok. It could just be that a program crashed because you had multiple tasks running,
Burning cd's , WMP open, MSN open, Firefox open etc. If you do have problems ,post back.

I followed the instructions and the Malware program found nothing. It seems like the computer is alright. Thanks for the help.
Highlighted
melboy
Level 7
Message 6 of 6

No problem, glad to help happy

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community