cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
robj
Level 7

Does anybody know how to remove the Nattly.com search engine hijacker?

One way or another I ended up with Nattly as my default web search engine. I can't get rid of it as it's apparently designed to keep coming back. Many people online say to just simply remove it from your browser list of search engines or to remove it from the list of programs in Control Panel. If you remove it from the browser, it keeps reappearing as the default once you start up your browser the next time and it doesn't show up on the program list in Control Panel. If you perform a search with it, all the results are basically paid ads or commercial sites. It is useless for searching which makes me suspicious that's it's more evil than people post because whoever gets it is surely going to try to get rid of it. Nobody would ever use it as a general search engine.

I found nattly.com in McAfee's list of programs and it lists it as a minimal risk. I don't buy that- this thing takes over your browser's search capabilities and it can't be easily removed. I don't consider that minimal.

Any help directing me to a solution would be appreciated very much! I'm not a computer genious, just a user.

Thank you-

Rob

0 Kudos
3 Replies
exbrit
Level 21

Re: Does anybody know how to remove the Nattly.com search engine hijacker?

It's strictly not malware but certainly behaves like it.

Here's a good removal guide: http://malwaretips.com/blogs/nattly-search-virus/

0 Kudos
robj
Level 7

I followed the instructions exactly and Nattly is still here. Funny or not so funny, if you click on their "About Us" tab on the bottom of the search engine page they tell you how to remove it...of course it doesn't work. Apparently their programmers have it figured out.

They have a "Contact Us" tab but I have to say I'd be very afraid to send them an email. So far they are proving to be quite less than honest.

How is it that McAfee is not more on top of this group and isn't blocking them through their security software. I'm very disappointed as this has all happened just after I renewed my subscription on five family computers for another year.

Any more ideas would be appreciated.

Thanks

nattly search.jpg

0 Kudos
exbrit
Level 21

Well it's not malware....yet... so antiviruses wouldn't pick it up.   We get asked a lot about these hidden 'bonuses' that arrive often included with other software you may have just downloaded.

One way out would be to try System Restore to before it started, another would be to try some of the tips here:  http://productforums.google.com/forum/#!topic/chrome/8g3qP9PawWE

Lastly you could try Hijackthis and post its log as instructed lower down the last link in my signature below.

I'm surprised it survived scans with AdwCleaner, Junkware Removal Tool and Malwarebytes Free.

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 20/09/13 7:27:48 EDT AM
0 Kudos