cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Dell Printer Hub, & McAfee

Should I let the Dell Printer Hub.exe file that McAfee found in the C:\Users\Public\Application Data folder remain in quarantine?  Should I restore it from quarantine?  Should I let McAfee delete it?

Here’s some info that might help in answering the question.

I have a DELL printer E310dw, installed on 11/08/2017, along with the DELL Printer Hub v 2.0.0.47. It is connected by a printer cable to a USB port on my Windows 7 Professional Latitude E5530 laptop, which has BIOS A20 (2/21/2018) on installed.  The printer prints without any problems.   Last week (August 4, 2018), on the weekly full scan, McAfee reported a threat named ‘JTI/Suspect.196612!d4e29d551d84’ and quarantined it.  It says that the threat was found in c:\Users\Public\Application Data\DPHUpdate\2.0.0.47\Dell Printer Hub.exe (‘properties’ says this file was created and accessed on 11/08/2017, but the file date in the folder is 10/03/2016, size is 1.173 KB).  Although full McAfee scans are done every week (i.e., long before the printer was installed on 11/08/2017), this is the first time that McAfee has reported a threat.  Now on 08/04/2018 McAfee says it found this threat in the DELL Printer Hub.exe file and so quarantined it.  McAfee gives no information about this threat at all.  As I said the printer still works fine.

What is causing McAfee to report a threat in the Dell Printer Hub.exe file, which is in the C:\...\Public\Application Data\...  folder?  Is this a real threat?  Or is there some quirk in the Dell Printer Hub.exe file that McAfee now thinks signifies that the file has malware in it?  It has never found a threat in this file before.  The date of the file has not changed since it was installed.   So, the best I can surmise is that McAfee has updated its list of malware in such a way that it “thinks” that the Dell Printer Hub.exe file has malware in it.  Any ideas about this???

Here is more information. 

When I go to the Start Menu, search for ‘Dell Printer Hub’, and click on that, the Dell Printer Hub program at c:\Program Files (x86)\Dell Printers\Dell Printer Hub\DLDPH.exe file (version 2.0.0.47, 2.52 MB, ‘properties’ says it was created 9/26/2016; accessed 11/08/2017) executes without a problem. McAfee did not find any threat in this file. The Dell Printer Hub tabs for Overview, Printer Information, and Firmware updater work fine.  The firmware updater says that the current firmware version is MAIN:1.09, the firmware is up to date, and the last time it was checked was 06-08-2018.  Right now, it reports that the toner is low (10%). 

So, what is going on such that McAfee found a threat in the Dell Printer Hub.exe file that is in the Public folder\Application Data folder and quarantined it, yet the printer prints without a hitch, and the Dell Printer Hub software that is in C:\Program File (x86)\... works OK, too?

Should I let the file that McAfee found in the C:\Users\Public\Application Data folder remain in quarantine?  Should I restore it from quarantine?  Should I let McAfee delete it? 

As I said previously, this file has been on my laptop for nearly a year, the properties of the file have not changed,  and McAfee does a full scan weekly, and prior to this last week, it's never reported any problems at all, and most specficially, prior to this last week, it has never reported a problem with this file.

MPower Badge Now Available
Customers attending MPower can earn a community badge. Check into the MPower forum and say hi to have the badge awarded to your community profile.