cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
samfogarty
Level 7

Computer hacked approximately immediately - McAfee Secuirty Center installed

Jump to solution

I set up a new Windows 7 computer for someone. The dell laptop came with McAfee Secuity Center, so I left that as the protection - updated everything, installed various standard applications.

Within hours of handing it over, (at least) the following programs were installed:

Omiga Plus

Buzz-it

Easy Deals

PowerfulBrowse

SaveClicker

SearchProtect

SmartSaver+ 15

SupTab

Supporter

WindowsMangerProtect

The user claims they did approximately nothing with the machine 'other than to download google chrome' and then everything started breaking.

McAfee reports no problems, even after a thorough scan. Chrome and Mozilla seem to not run. Internet Explorer had its home page altered, of course, but also now just crashes anyway.

My first question - why does McAfee think nothing of all these being installed?

Secondly - how was it so easy to install all this seemingly without the user's knowledge/consent?

I consider this setup a lost cause, and will wipe the machine start over. I am pretty shocked how fast the machine got dominated...

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
catdaddy
Level 20

Re: Computer hacked approximately immediately - McAfee Secuirty Center installed

Jump to solution

Please refer to the following Removal Guide Here

Search Protect and various others are part of the Notorious Conduit (PUP)

Although these particular programs are not (Virus,s) They present malicious traits. McAfee is not alone in this,as other Major Vendors Classify them as (Potentially Unwanted Programs ) as well.

Some of the same (Free) Tools used in this Removal Guide, can be found below my Signature.

You may want to keep the Malwarebytes (Free) Version on your system,as it is designed to detect and compliment all Anti-Virus Applications. And is entirely compatible. Do not accept the (Free) trial/or activate.

The (Free) Version will suffice.

I recommend running the Latest McAfee (Getsusp) Tool as well.Please remember to enter your Email address under "Preferences" before scanning.

Wishing you all the very best,

Regards,

Edit; For typos

Message was edited by: catdaddy on 7/23/14 5:01:24 AM EDT
Cliff
McAfee Volunteer
0 Kudos
2 Replies
catdaddy
Level 20

Re: Computer hacked approximately immediately - McAfee Secuirty Center installed

Jump to solution

Please refer to the following Removal Guide Here

Search Protect and various others are part of the Notorious Conduit (PUP)

Although these particular programs are not (Virus,s) They present malicious traits. McAfee is not alone in this,as other Major Vendors Classify them as (Potentially Unwanted Programs ) as well.

Some of the same (Free) Tools used in this Removal Guide, can be found below my Signature.

You may want to keep the Malwarebytes (Free) Version on your system,as it is designed to detect and compliment all Anti-Virus Applications. And is entirely compatible. Do not accept the (Free) trial/or activate.

The (Free) Version will suffice.

I recommend running the Latest McAfee (Getsusp) Tool as well.Please remember to enter your Email address under "Preferences" before scanning.

Wishing you all the very best,

Regards,

Edit; For typos

Message was edited by: catdaddy on 7/23/14 5:01:24 AM EDT
Cliff
McAfee Volunteer
0 Kudos
catdaddy
Level 20

Jump to solution

Since our new Community, our prior Links have ceased to exist. I felt it to be beneficial to send you the Link to some (Free) Superb Tools to keep on board, should the need arise.

You may find this informative/Interesting also;

All the Very Best,

Regards,

Catdaddy

McAfee Volunteer Moderator

Cliff
McAfee Volunteer
0 Kudos