cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
dexgypmom
Level 7

Completed Software Update Not Recognized

The McAfee Security Suite installed on my laptop is provided by my ISP, AT&T.  A recent software update triggered a notification that it was successfully installed, but the update area on the Security Suite window continues to indicate there are updates available and will not recognize their installation.  Despite querying the servers again and receiving a message in the update area that the software is up to date, the McAfee Updates area remains red rather than green and the system tray icon displays a white exclamation mark upon a red field over the McAfee shield.  Using the McAfee Virtual Technician from the tech support page, it evaluated the McAfee software and stated there was nothing wrong with it and it was operating normally. 

So, after using all of the self-help tools available, what else can be done on the user side before placing a call into customer support?  Would uninstalling the entire package and re-installing the software clear up the problem?  Has anyone experienced this specific problem and solved it on their own?  Please send help!   Thank You!!

0 Kudos
6 Replies
catdaddy
Level 20

Re: Completed Software Update Not Recognized

Short of contacting Technical Support, you may indeed do a Clean Uninstall/ReInstall:

How to uninstall or reinstall supported McAfee products using the Consumer Products Removal tool (MC...

I might add that it does happen on occasion,especially with an Upgrade.

Please remove from Control Panel/Programs and Features first/Restart Then use (MCPR)/Restart  before going to your account to reinstall.

Regards,

Catdaddy

McAfee Volunteer Moderator

Cliff
McAfee Volunteer
0 Kudos
catdaddy
Level 20

I forgot to add, that should you need further assistance,you can reach Technical Support here,and it is Free 24/7.

Via Phone/Chat is much quicker

Cliff
McAfee Volunteer
0 Kudos
catdaddy
Level 20

After further thought, when you (Double Click) your McAfee Icon to open. Is it (Green) and states "You are Secure",also under the McAfee Updates Tile on the Interface, does it state"Current"?

The reason I ask, is it your Windows Action Center not recognizing McAfee, or is it an Issue altogether soley associated with Your Protection?

On occasion at start-up WAC does not recognize your Anti-Virus, which is a Microsoft known issue in the past.

There is a solution to this, if indeed it is the case.

After revisiting your initial Post, if your (McAfee Update) Tile is Red, you indeed may have a corrupt Update/Upgrade.

Cliff
McAfee Volunteer
0 Kudos
exbrit
Level 21

As the user interface relies on Internet Explorer (regardless of your choice of browser) for proper function, can you make sure you have the latest version for your system installed please?

Vista = IE9

Windows 7, 8 and 8.1 = IE11

0 Kudos
Hayton
Level 17

Try rebooting. You may need to reboot more than once. It's the same as with Windows, things may need to be reset for the updates to take effect, and until that happens your system is still showing that one or more updates are not present or incomplete.

0 Kudos
catdaddy
Level 20

Good Point in regards to try "Rebooting". Keep in mind that (Reboot) means complete (Shut Down), and after a period of time (Restart). Allow Windows/Programs to fully load. In addition a (Warm Boot) is much easier on your system, opposed to a (Cold Boot).

In other words, a (Warm/Soft Boot) is the same as (Restarting) your computer without turning off your power source to the Hard Drive.

Cliff
McAfee Volunteer
0 Kudos