cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cocrows2
Level 7

Cannot scan any virus programs

Hello,

I'm having a problem scanning any of my virus programs. I got some kind of a virus? that installed something called "Security Central." It put an icon on my taskbar next to the Mcafee and gives me warning every few minutes that my computer is infected. When I try to scan Mcafee I get the following message.. "file mcshell.exe is infected with the W32/Blaster.worm. Please activate Security Central to protect your computer." I then tried to scan with Malwarebytes but get the message... "file mbam.exe is infected with the W32/Blaster.worm. please activate ..." I get a similar message when I try to scan Super Anti Spyware. I tried initially to use sytem restore but nothing happens when I click on it. I tried to scan using the free scan on Mcafee.com but got a similar message. Anything I try to run off Mcafee.com (Stinger,etc) will download but not run. I tried to restart computer in safe mode but get a blue screen with a system error and the computer needs to shut down. Any help would be most appreciated.

Thanks!

Mike

Windows XP: service pack 3

Mcafee 9.0? (I can't get into it to find my version. I just renewed subscription end of Sept '09)

0 Kudos
8 Replies
SamSwift
Level 12

Re: Cannot scan any virus programs

Hi,

Can you try renaming stinger.exe to stinger.com and then see if it will run.

HTH

Sam

0 Kudos
cocrows2
Level 7

How exactlt would I do that? I'm sorry but I've never really dealt with this kind of stuff before.

Mike

0 Kudos
SamSwift
Level 12

Download the file, right click on it and select 'rename' - then type in stinger.com. That should do the trick,

Sam

0 Kudos
cocrows2
Level 7

It won't allow me to open it after it's downloaded. I get the following "File stinger 1001688.exe is infected by W32/Blaster.worm Please activate Security Central to protect your computer."

Mike

0 Kudos
cocrows2
Level 7

Does anyone have any ideas? I still can't get any of these programs to scan without errors. ???????

0 Kudos
harrypike
Level 7

Delete cookies and history and all temp files * on C drive.

Restart the computer in safe mode.

Go to the restore system .... and choose date before you were infected.

Reboot and problem cleared. There will still be files on your computer

get something, even free, to scan and delete files so no recurrence later.

This worked for me.

0 Kudos
cocrows2
Level 7

HP, Thanks for the info. I wasn't able to delete the Temp Internet files but it put me on the right track and eventually I figured it out. Thanks again. I really appreciate it.

0 Kudos
jdalex1
Level 7

So, what is the solution?  I'm experiencing the same thing.

Thanks.

0 Kudos