Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Sicnarf
Level 9
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 1 of 16

Cannot download certain files?

Have had to rebuild my machine due to HD failure.

Installed Windows retail pack.

Installed 177 Microsoft "update files" including SP1

Running Win 7/64 Pro and. IE-11

Installed McAfee from my subscription.

Installed Windows Live Mail. Machine started to slow down.

Computer became erratic.

Scanned with McAfee. Full scan took 5.5 hours (247,000 files) utilizing 100% of  CPU and 96% of RAM.

Uninstalled Windows Live mail. Computer has stabilized "some".

Problem now.....

Tried to download a file CPUID.exe and the MacAfee Virtual Technician and got this message
in a windows box;

"Your current security settings do not allow this file to be downloaded".

I have checked my McAfee and don't see where my settings disallow ".exe" files?

Windows defender is shown to be turned off. Though I do know a "piece" of it got installed and

I was told that it COULD NOT be deleted.

What should I be looking for In "McAfee Total Protection" that I should turn off so I

can download files?

Thanks

15 Replies
exbrit
Level 21
Message 2 of 16

Re: Cannot download certain files?

Those security settings it refers to are I think in your browser.  Windows Defender is part if your operating system so can't be uninstalled but it is turned off automatically by the installation of any 3rd party antivirus such as McAfee.   You can safely re-enable WD if you wish.   The same would not be true if this was Windows 8 or above as it contains antivirus in those systems.

You probably would get better help by contacting Technical Support directly.  It's free by phone or online chat and linked underneath.

Toronto ▪ Canada
Volunteer Moderator - Consumer Products
I CAN'T HELP PRIVATELY - PLEASE POST IN THE FORUMS
Use Advanced Search To Find Answers

Consumer Technical Support (alter Country @ top right as needed)

Consumer Customer Service (Accounts, Billing, Registration, etc.)
Anti-Spyware/Malware/Hijacker Tools

exbrit
Level 21
Message 3 of 16

BTW CPUID is obsolete, exactly what software are you trying to download and from where so I can try it?

exbrit
Level 21
Message 4 of 16

Sicnarf
Level 9
Message 5 of 16

What I was trying to download was "cpu-z" from cupid.com.

Strange that I  CAN download Microsoft updates. Got a couple today and they went right through..

Per your suggestion I tried your current security settings do not allow this file to be downloaded link, unfortunately my box WAS ticked correctly so I "un" ticked it and restarted the machine and went back in and "ticked" it again saved and rebooted but no change in action.

That leaves me with contacting Tech support.

I'm in the North American Central Time zone. Can you give me advice on what might be the best time of day, my time ,for me to contact Tech support?  I'd rather speak with someone who just ate breakfast, somewhere in the world, rather than someone who is waiting to end his shift so he/she can have breakfast.

Thanks for your assistance.

exbrit
Level 21
Message 6 of 16

That's very odd.  All I can suggest is try a different browser or save the setup file to your desktop first, then right-click > Properties and check Unblock, Apply and then try it again.. 

Technical Support is open 24/7 and it's around 4.20am in Chennai at the moment where I think most of it is situated.

Sicnarf
Level 9
Message 7 of 16

I assume you're finding it "odd" that the MS files download OK but others won't?

I even tried to download a .pdf and it wouldn't let me so it's not just executable files  it doesn't like.

"Try a different browser...."  You mean like Chrome?  What "setup" file should I put on my desktop?

Thanks

exbrit
Level 21
Message 8 of 16

Most downloads come with an installer file.  I find sometimes saving that as whatever to the desktop ad then proceeding from there sometimes helps.   I have no similar problems downloading, but I'm using Firefox.   Also my software is at the default settings that it was at when installed.  The only thing I can think of, have you altered SiteAdvisor to run in Protected Mode?

Technical Support is your logical next step as I suggested earlier.

exbrit
Level 21
Message 9 of 16

Found this online.  I personally dislike Chrome so never use it but this may help:

1) Click the icon in the top right corner

2) Choose "Settings"

3) Click "Show Advanced Settings" at bottom

4) Scroll down to Downloads and toggle the checkbox "ask where to save each file before downloading"

(Make sure it's correct)

5) Click the "close" button

6) Close Chrome completely

7) Restart Chrome and now you should be able to download the original file in question.

I found this on line. Certainly reads like my problem,though I don't have all the criteria but on my shutdowns windows reports it's waiting for dllhost to quit.

How to remove the Poweliks Trojan (Removal Guide)

Might your recommendation to contact McAfee support been predicated on something like this?

Sic