Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Reliable Contributor exbrit
Reliable Contributor
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 11 of 16

Re: Cannot download certain files?

No don't contact support if you feel it's an in infection, unless you want to pay for virus removal.  (Some people do that)

That is interesting.  Poweliks, at least 1 variant of it, is already know to McAfee's database:  Downloader-FAAZ!0181850239CD | Virus Profile & Definition | McAfee Inc. and there may be others.

In which case I recommend running (if that ESET removal tool doesn't work) Stinger and MalwareBytes Free both linked in the last link below.

Note you can probably download them in "Safe Mode with Networking" if the same warning appears in regular mode.

Toronto ▪ Canada
Volunteer Moderator - Consumer Products
I CAN'T HELP PRIVATELY - PLEASE POST IN THE FORUMS
Use Advanced Search To Find Answers

Consumer Technical Support (alter Country @ top right as needed)

Consumer Customer Service (Accounts, Billing, Registration, etc.)
Anti-Spyware/Malware/Hijacker Tools

Reliable Contributor catdaddy
Reliable Contributor
Message 12 of 16

Moved this discussion to Malware Discussion > Home User Assistance > Discussions - By Moderator

As it seems more appropriate..

Cliff
McAfee Volunteer

I DID have "powerliks" and the software from ESET seems to have eradicated it! ( Said while knocking wood, holding horseshow and rabbits foot.)

Thank for your help.

This will be the second time that McAfee has NOT protected me. Guess it's about time I research "Security" programs more thoroughly as now having McAfee doesn't make me feel too secure.

Reliable Contributor exbrit
Reliable Contributor
Message 14 of 16

As I explained earlier McAfee does detect at least one variant of Powerliks but like all antivirus software it isn't guaranteed to be 100% proof against everything that's out there, that's why there are tools like GetSUSP and Stinger. - again see the last link in my signature in the post above.  Switching to another brand is like Russian Roulette, you may avoid some bullets but get hit by others.   It's your choice of course but the software is rated nearly 100% perfect in most independent reviews.

Be careful downloading and what sources you use and always keep your system up to date.

Reliable Contributor catdaddy
Reliable Contributor
Message 15 of 16

If I may interject into the conversation. Both Bleeping Computer/Malware Tips .com are both Proven to be Reliable/Effective. By all means do not use "Spyhunter" as suggested in certain searches.

Having said this, to add to the removal of Malware/Potentially Unwanted Programs/Hi-jackers..here is another Highly recommended Removal Guide :How to easily clean an infected computer (Malware Removal Guide)

All the best

Catdaddy

McAfee Consumer Moderator

Consumer Products

Cliff
McAfee Volunteer
Moderator selvan
Message 16 of 16

Re: Re: Cannot download certain files?

Hi

I get an impression that security settings in IE are set to high. Please check and see if lowering the slider helps. Also you can navigate to Advanced tab, Restore Settings and Reset IE.

ie security.png