cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Banyan3
Level 7

Blank Security Center window…and more...

Blank Security Center window…

Hi I have an infected Dell laptop with Vista and AOL on it and here are the symptoms/problem I have:

-When open the McAfee Security Center the content of the window is empty and of cores, McAfee does not work.

-When I start AOL an annoying small (1 ½” x 1 ½”)    and empty windows with an “OK” button pups up 3 time for every AOL application I’m trying to open.

- I cannot install the new Windows security Updates

-It does all of the above in Safe Mode too

-I have scanned the computer without success with the following software: Spybot, Eset Online Scanner and Malwarebytes’ Anti-Malware

-And the System Restore keeps in memory only the restore point of me trying to install the Windows security Updates

Please HELP!

0 Kudos
9 Replies
exbrit
Level 21

Re: Blank Security Center window…and more...

Moved to Malware Discussion > Home User Assistance.

The blank SecurityCenter could be because of the infection or that you are using IE9 beta or another beta browser.   They aren't compatible yet so get rid of them when you get a chance.

Meanwhile try the Safe Mode suggestions here:  Required Reading - Home User Assistance Malware Troubleshooting

if that doesn't help boot into "Safe Mode with Networking" by tapping F8 repeatedly while booting up and selecting that on the subsequent menu, usually second on the list, which hopefully will give you internet access while in Safe Mode.

Download, install, update and run a full scan using the FREE version of THIS tool.  (It should all work in that mode).

0 Kudos
exbrit
Level 21

If that fails then I suggest formatting the hard drive and reinstalling your system.

0 Kudos
Banyan3
Level 7

Okay thanks, I am working on it this afternoon. Scan in “safe mode with networking” using McAfee is in process right now, that’s a good news!!! I will let you know how it goes.

Thanks to Ex_Brit for such a fast reply!

0 Kudos
Banyan3
Level 7

“Huston we have a problem!” It has been scanning for about 2 hours by now and the scan is stuck at 7%...

I did a “chkdsk /f”, it did fix some stuff then I restart the scan of the “C” in safe mode, and it still does the same thing, stuck at 7%

Do you think I could bypass this step and go for the Stinger right away?

“BTW the F8 key was not working. I had to shutdown windows by pressing for more than 3 second the on/off button. Then when restarted it gave me the option to start in “safe mode” because of Windows has not being shut down properly. “

This virus has really taken over my computer. I really hope I will not have to rebuild it, Grrrrrr…!!!!

I need a miracle!!!

0 Kudos
exbrit
Level 21

Try altering the chkdsk parameter to r - for repair/restore (depends on who you read)

i.e.  chkdsk /r

0 Kudos
Banyan3
Level 7

The chkdsk /r is over. Here is the result:

-On stage, 1 of 5 ChkDsk /r repaired 66 records processed

-On stage 4 of 5 Windows replaced bad clusters in file 135912 of name \PROGRA~2\DELLSU~1\HWDIAG\BIN\PCB1ED~1.P5X.

…and the problem is still existent.

How about the Stinger, should I go for it? I guess YES, nothing to lose at this point right?

Waiting for your answer...

0 Kudos
Banyan3
Level 7

Oh wait a minute!!!

After the “chkdsk /r” process I restarted the computer and the problem was still present. So, I restarted the computer and this time I tried the “F8” key and it worked (!!!)

Then after I started it in “Safe Mode with Networking”, I was able to update McAfee by right clicking on the small logo in the bottom right of the screen.

Then I tried again to scan the “C” drive as suggested above by Peter/Ex_Brit and it seems to work! I am now past the 7% and up to 31% by now, and still scanning…

I will keep you up to date…

I don’t want to say victory yet but…fuck ya!!!! 

0 Kudos
exbrit
Level 21

Let's hope success...you may have to run chkdsk /r twice to make sure.

0 Kudos
ConorD62
Level 12

You might want to register at the Malwarebytes forum and make a topic in their "HiJackThis logs" forum.

They might be able to help.

0 Kudos