cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
anonymousone
Level 7

Black Pop-up Won't Stop - Artemis!8D95D3CFA1F2

For the past few days I've been getting this black, translucent rectangle that slides up from the bottom of my screen that says:

McAfee I Total Protection Service              File deleted - (a bunch of numbers and letter).dll

Artemis! (more numbers and letters)

(Location of file)

It won't let me click anything but "Okay" and I keep getting them every minute. When the pop up my computer freezes for a moment and if I'm typing it stops me from typing any more and I have to click again to continue.

They started appearing after I installed a sound editor (for music) that looked trustworthy but then it ended up installing a whole bunch of things. I immediately went to my computer's list of installed programs and began uninstalling all of the things that had the date of that day on them. There were about four I believe. After that, my computer told me to reboot, so I did. Then afterward everything seemed okay, just a little slow, and these McAfee things started appearing. I've searched everywhere online and the only help I've found is to clear the cache and reboot. I did both and they stopped for a while but then started up again today. I restarted my computer and cleared the cache again, but it's still popping up.

Also, I tried updating McAfee because it said the last update didn't install properly, so I clicked 'Update Now' but it wouldn't work and the screen came up said it would close in 9 seconds. I've tried it over and over and have searched all over troubleshooting tips and the help center.

Does anyone know what is going on with my computer or how to stop it? And if you do know what's happening, will my computer be okay? It's scaring me a little.

Thank you.

PS To give you an idea of how often I'm getting these, I typed this all in maybe seven or eight minutes and have received 18 of the McAfee notifications.

0 Kudos
7 Replies
exbrit
Level 21

Re: Black Pop-up Won't Stop ("Artemis!" ?)

Moved to Malware Discussion > Artemis Discussion.

Artemis is the name the software gives to possible infections that as yet are unknown to the database.  Each number is unique so if you want to get help with it here you'll have to post the Artemis numbers and letters.

If you open SecurityCenter and click Navigation, then scroll down to Quarantined and Trusted Items and expand those sections you should see it listed with hopefully a path and some clues as to what it was.

That sound editor may be trustworthy but was the website you downloaded it from?   Often they add unwanted extras.

Also post the name of the sound editor and where you downloaded it from.

0 Kudos
anonymousone
Level 7

Thanks for your help- unfortunately while in the process of clearing my cache I cleared my history and I don't think I'll be able to find the sound editor thing I installed. The number/letter code is below:

File deleted - dc592624f53243119fc7.dll

Artemis! 8D95D3CFA1F2

It's always the same combination if that helps.

McAfee Pop-Up.jpg

I tried screenshotting the pop-up, hopefully that helps too. Also, I'm very new to this, where do I find SecurityCenter?

Hope this helps- thanks again.

0 Kudos
catdaddy
Level 20

This actually may be a legitimate detection. I noticed in your screen shot (Advanced Elite) which there is a removal Guide for:Remove "Advance Elite" Ads (Virus Removal Guide).

Also since it was indeed detected as Artemis! by McAfee. I would also Submit to McAfee Labs as well, so as should it truly be a (PUP) Analyzed by the Engineers at McAfee Labs, a Detection Dat could possibly be created/added for this program:

Consumer

Corporate

Detection Dispute Submission | McAfee Labs

I would first submit the Artemis which is in your (Screen Shot), then try the (Removal Guide) inserted above. After you successfully submit your Artemis, you should receive an Anaylysis ID #. Please save that for future reference, should you need it.

(You may want to upload the file to Virus Total as well. It is listed in your (Screen Shot) also  with the Artemis!.)

If you would, Kindly post back your results.

Regards,

Catdaddy

McAfee Volunteer Moderator

Cliff
McAfee Volunteer
0 Kudos
catdaddy
Level 20

I also noticed in your (Screen Shot) your Protection is listed as "McAfee Total Protection Service" ?

Am I to assume this means your Protection is Saa S Endpoint Protection?

You should be able to open your Product,by (Double clicking) the Icon either in the Lower Tray,or Short Cut.

Actually, Ex_Brit answered your last question in Post #1.  However, you would follow those suggestions if your Protection is (McAfee Total Protection).

Cliff
McAfee Volunteer
0 Kudos
exbrit
Level 21

Re: Black Pop-up Won't Stop - Artemis!8D95D3CFA1F2

OK I added the number to the main header for this thread.

0 Kudos
exbrit
Level 21

..and support for TPS is here: 

0 Kudos
catdaddy
Level 20

Could you please apprise us if your issue has been resolved?

Kind Regards,

Catdaddy

McAfee Volunteer Moderator

Consumer Products

Cliff
McAfee Volunteer
0 Kudos