Did you mean: 
Reliable Contributor exbrit
Reliable Contributor
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 61 of 77

Re: Babylon Search, need to remove

Jump to solution

As stated in response to your other post:

It isn't secret.  At some stage the option to uncheck Babylon came up and you must have missed it.   It's not all Babylon's fault either but half to blame are the other software makers who optionally bundle 3rd party software to save money.

For removal help see:  https://community.mcafee.com/docs/DOC-4345

Jump to solution

I do not even know how Babylon got into my computer. If I'm voluntarily installing a software with an option to install Babylon, I should be opting IN, not OUT, especially considering the pesky nature of Babylon. 

If only your company is more upfront with users, you'll spend less time trying to do image repair job at online forums.

Reliable Contributor
Message 63 of 77

Jump to solution

What's it got to do with McAfee?   They don't offer Babylon as an option.   It came along with something else you installed.  Always keep an eye on the various installer windows as they appear as that and many other optional things are often offered but there is always the option to uncheck those items.

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 21/11/12 2:28:46 EST PM

Jump to solution

It has nothing to do with McAfee. Since you're defending Babylon or making excuses for them, I responded thinking that you're working for Babylon.

Reliable Contributor
Message 65 of 77

Jump to solution

I don't work for anyone.   I'm not defending Babylon at all, but I just wanted to clarify it isn't McAfee's fault either.

Reliable Contributor Peacekeeper
Reliable Contributor
Message 66 of 77

Jump to solution

Adobe for 1 adds all these extras such as Mcafee security suite/ nortons equivalent/ Ask taskbar they all are set to opt out. I even got chrome installed by accident so one has to check the install popups of programs.

We mods agree and have mentioned that they should be opt in but whoever is driving them decides more money follows if they are defaulted to opt in. Mcafee does not decide the option.

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 22/11/12 7:01:04 EST AM

Jump to solution

TOTALLY AGREE WITH YOU....interesting enough Avast also does not recognise this Babylon either. What is really going on here?

Highlighted
Reliable Contributor
Message 68 of 77

Jump to solution

Because Babylon is legitimate software, albeit pervasive software.   It's not a virus, trojan or worm so antivirus software wont do anything about it.   Read the earlier posts for various removal methods.   It installs as an option with other software, that's why you should always pay attention when downloading software to make sure there are no optional extras that need to be unchecked first.

csuslo
Level 7
Message 69 of 77

Jump to solution

If Babylon hijack has been around for years, maybe McAfee could freakin address it!??? Why would I buy it again or recommend it to ANYONE??? And I've got about 10 other complaints about McAfee if anyone cares to ask.

-Competely Irritated

csuslo
Level 7
Message 70 of 77

Jump to solution

Seriously! That's an hour of work to get all this crap off my computer. I too got it unknowingly from CNET. Can McAfee at least acknowlege there's a g0d dam problem here?? Worried about getting sued or something? Or is it that people will buy McAfee thinking it actually might help them??

Member Rewards
McAfee Community rewards active and helpful members just like you. Click here to take a look at the first community members who received a special reward and were recognized by McAfee leader, Aneel Jaeel, for their participation and trusted knowledge in the community.