Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Reliable Contributor
Reliable Contributor
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 41 of 77

Re: Babylon Search, need to remove

Jump to solution

I moved this to Security Awareness, Home User Assistance as there are other threads there dealing with this.

If the removal methods given earlier in the thread - not least the one provided by Babylon themselves on their website, which I reproduced in a post - do not fully work, then all I can say is that the program code is either badly documented or badly implemented. Babylon are not as far as I know a rogue outfit, they just make their money by collecting from advertisers when users have their toolbar installed. I can see that they would want users to install it and not remove it, but their headquarters are in Germany, and the authorities there are very strict indeed about business ethics and proper behaviour. If you don't want the toolbar, the company is obliged to allow you to remove it. So I for one would go with the instructions on the company website.

Highlighted

Jump to solution

Wih respect, those instructions remove the toolbar and remove it from the drop down menu. They don't stop Babylon delivering search results when you search with google, or opening babylon as a new default search or tab.

Mozilla's Browser Protect add-on detects it but only gives temporary protection.

I am not the only one who didn't install this program 'optionaly', who doesn't want it, and who has gone to considerable lengths including manual registry clean-ups, boot cleans and several automated removal attempts to get rid of it. It specificaly targets Google. and almost makes you want to use Bing. (Babylon as a search engine is great if you want more Crapware).

I will try some of the other links you suggest. I have not, as others have, yet reacted as if I am being spoken to as a dummy that chose the program and hasn't tried all the obvious. But I can see why some are offended. Thank you again for the suggestions, even though your posts do rather suggest you are unaware of the nature of the problem.

Happy to post some screen shots if no-one understands that this program remains after it has been 'removed.'

Message was edited by: nanowhatthe on 08/07/12 14:05:23 CDT
Highlighted

Jump to solution

Ex_Brit wrote:

Tried SuperAntiSpyware free linked in that lower link in my signature?

Yes. It shows up lots of cookies, many of which are actualy desirable, such as Amazon. They are unsorted. So it takes quite a while to go through them but nothing that is discernably conected to Babylon. And the time doing that is on top of the scan, so trying all these things is pretty time consuming.

I see that Spybot S & D have a removal guide here:  http://forums.spybot.info/showthread.php?t=61869 but they do say at the bottom, if it doesn't help.........., which isn't very encouraging I agree.

Yes. It didn't work either.

Meanwhile I see that CNet have a removal tool available at a ridiculous price.

Not only ridiculous but ironic - as several people including myself were stuck with Babylon on account of a CNet stealth download in the first place. I always chose 'custom' and de-selected their 'suggested' software and wondered if I had been remiss on this occasion.Now I see reports from experienced IT workers saying the same thing happened to them. Horrified.

And to the oher mod, yes, as I have said, I have gone hrough the registry manually cleaning out all references - time-consuming I agree. PLus it didn't work.

Highlighted

Jump to solution

I agree. Actually I've narrowly escaped downloading Babylon a number of times over the years.  It's offered with quite a few different pieces of software.   You have to be really alert these days not to click install straight away to make sure there is no optional stuff coming along for the ride.

I can only suggest Hijackthis and post its log on one of the forums suggested in the lower link in my signature (scroll down that page).

Highlighted

Jump to solution

Hello Everyone,

Sorry you have to deal with the Babylon Search issue.   At this point McAfee does not want to admit that this is a problem for whatever reason.  But I was able to remove it with the help of BleepingComputer.  Go there and they will help you out. Do not do anything unless they tell you to.  The process took a solid weekend to work through with Bleepingcomputers and a bit of trust.

However, if going to Bleeping computers is not for you this was one of the last steps he had me perform and it got rid of the Babylon Search issue

1. Click Start and then click on run

2. In the run box type regedit, press Enter (provide administrative credentials if prompted)

3. Navigate to the following key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\AboutURLs

4. Right-click Tabs, then click Modify…

5. Change the “Value data:” to:

res://ieframe.dll/tabswelcome.htm

6. Click OK

I wish you luck

Highlighted
Reliable Contributor
Reliable Contributor
Message 46 of 77

Jump to solution

Here again are links to the Babylon website where the removal instructions are given -

If you have one of their programs :

http://support.babylon.com/index.php?/Knowledgebase/Article/View/177/0/uninstall -babylon-software

If it's only the toolbar :

http://support.babylon.com/index.php?/Knowledgebase/Article/View/213/0/remove-to olbar-and-search-th...

And to the contents of the toolbar-removal page, copied into a post earlier in this thread -

https://community.mcafee.com/message/241087#241087

Ghacks.net have a page of removal advice for Firefox and Chrome at

http://www.ghacks.net/2011/08/17/how-to-uninstall-the-babylon-toolbar-completely/

And Microsoft Answers have details of the two registry settings that need to be changed for IE at

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/ie/forum/ie8-windows_7/how-do-i-get-my-abouttabs-back-to-default/...

Resetting Internet Explorer settings may do the trick (see posts here - from a Vista forum)

To manually reset Internet Explorer settings

1. Close all Internet Explorer or Windows Explorer windows.
  2. Open Internet Explorer by clicking the Start button Picture of the Start button, and then clicking Internet Explorer.
  3. Click the Tools button, and then click Internet Options.
  4. Click the Advanced tab, and then click Reset.
  5. Click Reset.
  6. When you are done, click Close, and then click OK.
  7. Close Internet Explorer and reopen it for the changes to take effect.

And BleepingComputer among others recommend the use of Revo Uninstaller (from http://www.revouninstaller.com/revo_uninstaller_free_download.html)

- never used it, so can't comment on its efficiency. It might be useful in removing files and registry data after the uninstall.

There are lots of suggestions all over the web about removing Babylon, some of them useful and sensible and others not. I've picked a few of the better ones, you're welcome to try them and they shouldn't mess up your system. I haven't had to remove this toolbar myself and I'm not inclined to acquire it just to get some practice in losing it again. Sorry, folks, but that's how it is. What I might do is maybe get a question through to Babylon and ask about some of the issues that have been raised here.

Highlighted

Jump to solution

mlisowski wrote:

Hello Everyone,

Sorry you have to deal with the Babylon Search issue.   At this point McAfee does not want to admit that this is a problem for whatever reason.  But I was able to remove it with the help of BleepingComputer.  Go there and they will help you out. Do not do anything unless they tell you to.  The process took a solid weekend to work through with Bleepingcomputers and a bit of trust.

However, if going to Bleeping computers is not for you this was one of the last steps he had me perform and it got rid of the Babylon Search issue

1. Click Start and then click on run

2. In the run box type regedit, press Enter (provide administrative credentials if prompted)

3. Navigate to the following key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\AboutURLs

4. Right-click Tabs, then click Modify…

5. Change the “Value data:” to:

res://ieframe.dll/tabswelcome.htm

6. Click OK

I wish you luck

Babylon toolbar is a legitimate piece of software unfortunately.   OK sometimes difficult to get rid of but nevertheless until it's proven to be either a virus, trojan or worm, McAfee can't do anything, it's nothing to do with whether or not they will do something.

I see others are successfully ridding themselves of it. 

Sorry you've had to go through that experience but I did recommend BleepingComputer and several other remedies earlier on.

Edit:  On our Conference Call agenda for later this afternoon we've asked if McAfee could at least identify Babylon as a PUP - Possibly Unwanted Program, which at least would give people a second chance to stop it installing. 

Can't promise anything though as that could cause legal repercussions.

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 09/07/12 7:51:03 EDT AM
Highlighted

Jump to solution

By the way, I've been using CNet for years and have never seen them specifically including Babylon with all downloads.  I think the blame should go to the actual software maker for that.   I've seen Babylon myself with Incredimail and ViStart downloads and of course unchecked the option, and that is but 2 out of thousands out there.    But neither of those did I download from CNet.  Others include the Ask toolbar or Norton Security Scan or even McAfee Secure Scan Plus and I am sure there are many more.  

Jump to solution

These removal instructions were taken from DeleteMalware Blog post about Babylon toolbar. Uh-oh, someone needs to learn how to properly credit the author. I'm sure the folks at Babylon Software Ltd. should have done better

Highlighted
Reliable Contributor
Reliable Contributor
Message 50 of 77

Jump to solution

I see what you mean. Someone is plagiarising someone else.

I gave the link to the place where I found the instructions, which was on the website of the company itself, and the screenshot was correctly attributed to the source. I sometimes forget to show where quotes or screenshots come from, but not this time.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community