cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Artemis!F5F871233664 appeared suddenly without any downloading of files. Is it a false positive?

Around an hour ago McAfee trusted advisor framework exe. stopped working. It advised me to install MacAfee virtual technition. I ran that and it just advised me to run an update and scan. I did this and it found the said "infection".

My nephew had been using the computer looked at the history and he'd been on 4chan not the infamous ?b/ board though. Could this be a potential hack? Am I at any further risk? Can Artemis be used to keylog e.t.c.? I'm running MBAM Premium also and nothing was found in a full scan after the trojan was found and "fixed".

0 Kudos
14 Replies
exbrit
Level 21

Re: Artemis!F5F871233664 appeared suddenly without any downloading of files. Is it a false positive?

Moved to Artemis Discussion and I abbreviated your header so it fits.

Artemis is the name given to anything that is unknown and maybe a threat.  The McAfee Labs then decide whether or not that is the case.

It could be anywhere on your hard drive.   There may be a clue in the software itself.  Open SecurityCenter then click Navigation  and scroll down to Quarantined and Trusted Items and expand those sections to see if any clues are there.

I would run a scan with GetSusp in the last link below, note enter your email address in its preferences so the labs can get back to you.   Then run a scan using Malwarebytes Free, also in that link.  Note to keep the latter free do NOT accept the free trial nor activate the software at any point if asked during the installation process.

Toronto ▪ Canada
Volunteer Moderator - Consumer Products
I CAN'T HELP PRIVATELY - PLEASE POST IN THE FORUMS
Use Advanced Search To Find Answers

Consumer Technical Support (alter Country @ top right as needed)

Consumer Customer Service (Accounts, Billing, Registration, etc.)
Anti-Spyware/Malware/Hijacker Tools

0 Kudos
exbrit
Level 21

Re: Artemis!F5F871233664 appeared suddenly without any downloading of files. Is it a false positive?

Sorry I overlooked you have MBAM Pro.  Ignore my advice regarding MBAM Free.

0 Kudos

Thanks for replying. I checked in the quarantine library in the navigation tab. It says it's a C/Net installer. I installed a program on C/Net last week is this usually a problem? As I haven't been installing anything this week could someone be trying to use this as a back door? Also nothing was picked up on MBAM or GetSusp. Also when I try to send a the file to McAfee, Total Protection will not allow it. It keeps failing.

0 Kudos
Peacekeeper
Level 20

Though if you have the Malwarebytes premium real time scanning active as well as McAfee installed this could cause clashes. What file was detected as infected try sending it to www.virustotal.com and see if it is also detected by the other scanners?

0 Kudos

Thanks for replying. I'll be sending the file shortly as I can't send it to McAfee.

0 Kudos
exbrit
Level 21

Don't post files here, that's against the forum TOS.   Use GetSusp and it should submit it for you, see the last link below.  Enter your email address in the Preferences so the labs can get back to you.  C/Net often include additional software with their downloads and something undesirable may have caused this.

Toronto ▪ Canada
Volunteer Moderator - Consumer Products
I CAN'T HELP PRIVATELY - PLEASE POST IN THE FORUMS
Use Advanced Search To Find Answers

Consumer Technical Support (alter Country @ top right as needed)

Consumer Customer Service (Accounts, Billing, Registration, etc.)
Anti-Spyware/Malware/Hijacker Tools

0 Kudos
exbrit
Level 21

Forgot to say restore it from Quarantine first.

0 Kudos
Peacekeeper
Level 20

Then

Suggested this as an alternative

0 Kudos

Thanks for replying. I wasn't going to post the file here. Sorry I didn't explain myself properly. I was trying to send the file from quarantine using the Send File to McAfee using the option included in quarantine on McAfee Total Protection. The file is called C/Net installer [1]. Is there any way to send the file using this option as GetSusp doesn't pick it up. Oh I left out that this also happened during an unexpected automatic upgrade to Windows 8.1. Whilst all this has been going on Windows has been doing this upgrade in the background and I didn't notice until the full automatic install was completed.

0 Kudos