cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Antivirus System Pro

Jump to solution

Can anyone tell me how to get rid of the mongrel malware?

McAfee seems useless for it.  It doesn't even detect it is there.  I thought when I bought McAfee I was protected.  Seems I was wrong.

I seem to have removed everything except for a process called "qidsysguaed.exe".  I can manually stop this at startup but don't know how to remove it as I can't find it anywhere on the hard drive.  I assume this may mean it is hidden in the boot sector somewhere in which case I have no idea where to go to remove it.

Everyone seems to be suggesting installing Spyware Doctor or MalwareBytes.  I've done this and  they indeed can see the Malware but I have to pay to get the full version which will remove it.  I will do this as a last resort, but very dissappointed the McAfee won't do it.

Any help welcome.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
maziz
Level 10
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 4 of 13

Re: Antivirus System Pro

Jump to solution

Hi

Please download the McAfee Stinger from HERE

Instructions for how to run Stinger are also on this page.

Once the Stinger has run, do not close the program. Please select "File" (top left) and you should see an option to Save a log file. Please post this here once saved.

Thanks.

12 Replies
Reliable Contributor exbrit
Reliable Contributor
Message 2 of 13

Jump to solution

No need to pay for anything.  The best guide on the web on this particular infection is here:  http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/virus-removal/remove-antivirus-system-pro

Scroll down and read it all as the first part is all advert links.

You must have downloaded the trial version of MBAM rather than the free one, which is just as good for this kind of thing.

nchattop
Level 12
Message 3 of 13

Jump to solution

Please send us a sample for analysis, in a password-protected ZIP file (password - infected).

You can find detailed instructions for how to do this at <http://vil.mcafeesecurity.com/vil/submit-sample.aspx>

If you have a system where you can do a test scan, you may first wish to try our beta DailyDATs to get the latest detection available.   You can find this on our web-site at:

<http://vil.mcafeesecurity.com/vil/averttools.aspx>

Please include a description of the symptoms your system is experiencing, and any pertinent information about what AV Products you are using including company, version number (engine/dat numbers for McAfee Products) and results of the scan.

Regards

Neha

Highlighted
maziz
Level 10
Message 4 of 13

Jump to solution

Hi

Please download the McAfee Stinger from HERE

Instructions for how to run Stinger are also on this page.

Once the Stinger has run, do not close the program. Please select "File" (top left) and you should see an option to Save a log file. Please post this here once saved.

Thanks.

Jump to solution

Thanks for the Stinger solution.  It fixed the problem straight away.

Sadly I wonder why I need to install a separate Package to get rid of this (even though it is a McAfee product).  Why isn't it already built in to the McAfee software?

Anyhow, a week on and the problem is resolved.

Jump to solution

I am having the same issue....I have of course run a full scan with McAfee and it found nothing at all which makes me wonder why I pay for an annual subscription  I have manually deleted the knibsysguard.exe file, I have followed the instructions offered by Ex_Brit, I have run a full scan with the MBAM software and I have run the Stinger program.  My computer is functioning much better but I am still unable to get to the internet (I'm logged on to another computer using the same wireless network so I know it's not my network connection!) My wireless printer keeps appearing and disappearing and I keep getting a BT tray error message.  I have attached the Stinger log but it doesn't appear to have found anything.  What else can I do?  I'm at my wit's end here.....PLEASE HELP!

maziz
Level 10
Message 7 of 13

Jump to solution

Hi

When you say "I am not able to get to the internet" do you mean whilst trying to launch Internet Explorer?

Have you tried an alternative browser like Mozilla Firefox to see if you can browse the internet?

It could just be that your browser is hijacked.

Jump to solution

Hello,

No, I haven't tried another browser because I don't have another one and I obviously can't download one...  I'm sure you are right and my browser is hijacked because I tried logging into email and I was able to connect to my email account and download email; although extremely slow. So, if the browser is hijacked, how to I get rid of the hijacker?

Thanks for your time...

Catie

Jump to solution

Hi...well, I figured out how to un-hijack my browser, so I don't need help with that ...but   every time I reboot my computer something gets into McAfee and turns it off.  I get a message saying I'm not protected and to click on the "fix" button.  I do that and everything is fine.  But when I restart again I'm back to square one.  Should I uninstall McAfee and reinstall it? Or is there a better way to fix this.

Thanks for your help!

Jump to solution

I will be cancelling my subscription to McAfee....thanks for not helping me!

For anyone else out there that needs help with removing a virus like Antivirus System Pro or any other type go to www.techsupportforum.com.  These guys are awesome and very, very helpful...unlike McAfee

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community