cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Anti Vira Av issues

Was online earlier today and suddenly started getting notices that I had spyware and such on my computer, which took me to a website to purchase protection to fix the problem.  However I have McAfee and don't want to use another company without seeing if i can get help first.  Any ideas anyone?  I'm in safe mode right now on my computer but have NO IDEA how to remove this virus...please help!  Thank you

0 Kudos
11 Replies
ConorD62
Level 12

Re: Anti Vira Av issues

Hi BabbyAngel104,

Please do the following:

• Press Start > Run > Msconfig
  • See if you can find anything there under the location of Appdata/TEMP or under Appdata.

That is a fake Anti Virus out to get your money,

Can you please provide the link of the website so it can be investigated.

Thanks.

0 Kudos

Anti Vira Av issues

Hi, Thank you for your help.  I don't seem to be able to locate the Run future on the start button, could this be b/c I'm in safe mode?  Do I need to switch back to the regular startup to see what I'm looking for? 

0 Kudos

Anti Vira Av issues

The website address is: sotrshop.com

I found the run menu, typed in msconfig and a box comes up with system configuration and a bunch of tabs.  Is this what I'm looking for?

0 Kudos
ConorD62
Level 12

Hi,

Yes that is what we are looking for.

Please click Start up's on that menu.

List anything you think is malicious.

0 Kudos

Anti Vira Av issues

In the meantime I downloaded the Malwarebytes Anti Malware program and it found 7 items that I deleted.  Restarted the computer in regular mode and it's not giving me those messages any more.  I'm now running a full scan of the computer again with the Malwarebytes software and checking if anything else comes up.  Did this fix the problem?  I found a similar chat post and it said to try this...but I was having issues with it earlier and just got it to work.  I truly appreciate your help with this...more than you know!!! 

0 Kudos
ConorD62
Level 12

Hi,

Yes that was what we were getting to, Malwarebytes,

It is strongest in Normal Mode, which is why I wanted you to disable any malicious start up's, so we could run it in Normal mode.

Luckily, it found it in Safe Mode, which is good.

Thanks.

0 Kudos

You are awesome!!  Thank you so very much for your help!  It's still rerunning, a full scan this time in normal mode...nothing else found yet.  I was ready to throw the computer over the balacony, but am much better now!  Thank you again!!

0 Kudos
ConorD62
Level 12

Hi,

Glad anything is fine,

Any time you need help, the community is here.

Thanks and good luck.

0 Kudos
Alien
Level 7

Please check existing threads for answers before starting new threads. It's been answered in the other Anti Vira AV thread. I even gave an alternate solution that does not require malwarebytes.

0 Kudos