cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mrniceguy
Level 7

ADWARE-180SA tied to ClickFree reminder program.

Many posts -- in this forum and others -- have referred to Adware-180SA as being found during an antivirus scan, but not being removeable (i.e. it continues to show up). In my case, the cause of this was the ClickFree backup software reminder program. Once I deleted that program (right click on task bar icon and choose remove) my McAfee ceased finding the ADWARE-180SA during scans.

Dell Inspiron laptop; MS Vista 64 bit OS; McAfee Total Protection

0 Kudos
7 Replies
vinod_r2
Level 11

Re: ADWARE-180SA tied to ClickFree reminder program.

thanks for the info. Could you mind sharing the somemore details of this application ( eg-: full name and where we could get a copy etc...)

regards

Vinod

0 Kudos
mrniceguy
Level 7

Clickfree offers a series of products to facilitate backup of data files on PCs and laptops. I used a Clickfree Transformer http://clickfree.com/products_transformer.php coupled with a 2 TB USB external hard drive to back up my four machines. When I plugged the Transformer into my laptop to initiate the first backup, it asked if I wanted to install a reminder program and I said yes. The program was installed and an icon was placed in the taskbar. I've looked at the files on the Clickfree Transformer (it functions as an external drive itself) and I believe the program to be SacReminder.exe. I've attached it below.

0 Kudos
vinod_r2
Level 11

this file is not getting detected on my pc :-(

0 Kudos
mrniceguy
Level 7

The file didn't detect on my PC either. I executed it, and the reminder program I remember did not install. I guess that file is not the correct one. I don't know how to tell what the correct file is from among the many on the drive. Do you have any suggestions on how to proceed?

0 Kudos
vinod_r2
Level 11

well , update McAfee on the machine and then see if the detection is still there on the original machine which had the issue.  If it gets detected let me know I will see if we can do something .

0 Kudos
Mr.Clickfree
Level 7

Hello, I am a Clickfree support rep. We have come across this issue once or twice so I thought I could comment and offer some info.
This file is not isolated to our software, but many others. The file itself attaches to executables. Its main purpose is for ad pop-ups but Clickfree(Storage Appliance Corp.) has no relation to this file at all. We sign executables using VeriSign certificate. This certificate is issued only if the physical address of the company can be verified. If you right click on the Sacreminder.exe and select properties you should see the digital signature tab that will list the company name and timestamp. Our program is safe to use. Its unfortunate that you are experiencing this issue as 180SA seems to have latched onto it somehow. 
Updating your McAfee may resolve the issue. For more info on 180SA you can visit http://www.what-is-exe.com/filenames/180sa-exe.html for some detailed instructions on how to remove it from the computer.
Thank you,
Clickfree Support

0 Kudos
mrniceguy
Level 7

Thanks for the input from Mr. Clickfree. After removal of the Reminder program and the SACReminder.exe file from my laptop I have had three clean scans with my McAfee Total Protection. Since that's where I want to be, I'm inclined to let things be unless I encounter further problems. In my particular case, I think the evidence associates the reminder program and the Adware-180SA. I hope that this is an individual occcurence as you suggest.

0 Kudos