cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2 Viruses detected...Backdoor.Litmus.203 and Backdoor.SDBot

I ran a virusscan with an on-line scanner, Bitdefender and two viruses were detected. I looked it up on the web and Symantec had info that said it would alter my registry and showed me where both viruses would make changes. I went there and no entries were present that should've been IF either of those viruses were active on my computer. What instigated this on-line scan is that my HD is constantly active and a recent PCWorld article suggested using an on-line scanner because my installed scanner could be compromised.

WhenI try to run MacAfee and a couple other on-line scanners, my computer shuts off in mid-scan. Is that a symptom of an infected computer? How can I remove these 2 viruses?

Thank you!

JSL
3 Replies
JarodR
Level 7
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 2 of 4

RE: 2 Viruses detected...Backdoor.Litmus.203 and Backdoor.SDBot

This web site explains how to run a scan in Dos when you have VirusScan.

http://www.mcafeehelp.com/faq3.asp?docid=71397

Disabling System Restore
Windows ME and XP utilize a restore utility that backs up selected files automatically to the C:\_Restore folder. This means that an infected file could be stored there as a backup file, and VirusScan will be unable to delete these files. You must disable the System Restore Utility to remove the infected files from the C:\_Restore folder.

WindowsME

1. Right click the My Computer icon on the Desktop and click on Properties.
2. Click on the Performance tab.
3. Click on the File System button.
4. Click on the Troubleshooting tab.
5. Put a check mark next to 'Disable System Restore'.
6. Click the 'OK' button.
7. You will be prompted to restart the computer. Click Yes.

Note: To re-enable the Restore Utility, follow steps one to seven and on step five remove the check mark next to 'Disable System Restore'.

WindowsXP
Disabling the System Restore Utility (Windows XP Users)

1. Right click the My Computer icon on the Desktop and click on Properties.
2. Click on the System Restore tab.
3. Put a check mark next to 'Turn off System Restore on All Drives'.
4. Click the 'OK' button.
5. You will be prompted to restart the computer. Click Yes.
Note: To re-enable the Restore Utility, follow steps one to five and on step three remove the check mark next to 'Turn off System Restore on All Drives'.
Highlighted

Backdoo.png

I have Windows XP Professional with service pack 2 on my desktop at work. I am the system administrator and owner because I'm my own boss. I also have three firewalls. One of those is suppose to include the McAfee security suite on my computer.

I also have McAfee Security Suite installed.

McAfee was suppose to be protecting me from malware because the problem occurred after McAfee was installed.

The problem? My computer runs just fine until I connect to the internet, then my computer gets hijacked by McAfee Shield or whatever it is that is infecting my computer. The hard drive is constantly busy, and when I open task manager, McAfee Shield is using 80% CPU power for no obvious reason. It's gotten to the point that I just have to unplug the darn thing to shut it off, because it won't shut down. Cannot find the virus or the cause either, though I have certainly tried. McAfee cannot find viruses/malware either. I wonder if McAfee has limited protection against infected Java script files on the internet?

Fortunately this is the only computer I have had problems with McAfee on. I have three computer and McAfee is on all of them.

Unfortunately I will have to have my computer professionally cleaned before it can go back online, because McAfee was obviously not protecting it. I hope I will not have to scrap the system and start over from scratch
Reliable Contributor exbrit
Reliable Contributor
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 4 of 4

RE: Backdoo.png

Old thread - triplicate posting - locking

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community