Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Eric
Level 7
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 1 of 3

VSEL 2.0.3 hangs machine when trying to start

I'm having an issue with VSEL 2.0.3 that I can't seem to find anywhere online. Sometimes when I go to update the VSEL dats it completely freezes either on stopping it or on starting it. This fully freezes the machine, which is RHEL 7.9, the only way that I've found to resolve the issue is to hard reboot the system. Recently it's become worse, I have the nails systemd service enabled to start on boot, and McAfee trying to startup freezes the computer at boot, so even a hard-boot doesn't fix it, I had to go into run level 1 and disable nails to get it to start.

Completely uninstalling and reinstalling VSEL seems to have fixed the problem temporarily at least, but I still have no idea what the root cause of it is. Is there a log that I can look at that would tell me exactly why it's freezing? Some things that may be of note is that I have had this same issue on multiple RHEL 7 workstations in a closed network, and at the same time, when I apply the exact same update to around 15 workstations, all running RHEL 7.9, only 1 or 2 break. These stations also all mount an nfs share, but they don't host any nfs shares(I noticed nfs mentioned off-handedly in another post about McAfee hanging).

Before anyone mentions it, I'm aware that VSEL is going EOL, and I am planning on updating it when possible, but it's not a possibility at the moment.

2 Replies
yaz
McAfee Employee
McAfee Employee
Message 2 of 3

Re: VSEL 2.0.3 hangs machine when trying to start

Hi @Eric 

Thanks for reaching out to McAfee community.

We will move this to Linux and Mac Support for further assistance. 

Aravind_M
McAfee Employee
McAfee Employee
Message 3 of 3

Re: VSEL 2.0.3 hangs machine when trying to start

Hi @Eric ,

Thank you for posting your query in the community forum.

VSEL 2.0.3 is supported only till RHEL 7.3. RHEL 7.4 and later are supported with ENSL. I would recommend you upgrade to the latest ENSL 10.7.6.

Supported platforms for VSEL - https://kc.mcafee.com/corporate/index?id=KB75270 
Supported platforms for ENSL - https://kc.mcafee.com/corporate/index?page=content&id=KB87073 

There is no separate product logging for VSEL. All the product-related logs will be stored in the system log. To check whether the service is stuck/stopped you can refer to the messages.log at the specific timeframe when the machine went to the hung state.

Was my reply helpful?
If you find this post useful, please give it a Kudos! l Also, Please don't forget to select "Accept as a solution" if this reply resolves your query!

Regards,
Aravind.

You Deserve an Award
Don't forget, when your helpful posts earn a kudos or get accepted as a solution you can unlock perks and badges. Those aren't the only badges, either. How many can you collect? Click here to learn more.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community