Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Reliable Contributor User91972758
Reliable Contributor
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 11 of 15

Re: Unknown error received from scanners

Jump to solution
If we're receiving the error 1048 - Unknown Error, after doing research all it means is that the On-access or On-Demand scan is unable to scan that specific file, whatever it may be. Whether it's a .dmp, .tmp, .mnt etc. So until there's an update for ENS to scan certain file types it may be better to try and exclude that specific file.

For example if you go to System Tree > Find a System > Pull up its Threat Event Logs and see:
ID: 1048 - Scan reports general system error, open this event to view which file it had an issue scanning. I pull up an event like this and see ENS had an issue scanning:
Threat Target Process Name: /bin/gawk
Threat Target File Path: /root/shoudbe.out

We now have the ability to exclude this specific file path / process if we want, but it's up to your discretion. If we exclude it this event will not be recorded for that file / path or process.

I hope this helps. Let me know if you need more insight.

View solution in original post

Jump to solution

After launching a scan,  "unknown error received from scanners"  appears after about 3 seconds, but no files were scanned.

The computer is an iMac running Mojave 10.14.5.

I don't understand the fixes I have read prior to my post : the iMac is my wife's computer. I'm used to debugging Windows, not Apples, so please excuse my ignorance in this matter. I looked for System tree, but could not find it (in case that's the path toward uncovering the fix).

What are step by step instructions to make McAfee functional on the iMac Mojave?

Thank you.

Reliable Contributor User91972758
Reliable Contributor
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 13 of 15

Jump to solution

Hello @dagflorida

No problems, how do you manage your scans? Is it an enteprise license where you use the ePolicy Orchestrator to manage systems, or is it personal licensing? I ask because ePO is where you would find the system tree, if you're seeing these issues on a personal license I'm unsure how this might be resolved as I'm unfamiliar with their interface.

However, if you know how to add exclusions on the personal version of McAfee's AV, I'd do that. Add an exclusion for the directory / file type that is seeing errors. This should resolve that issue.

If you're able to answer what product licensing you have I could definitely try and help clarify things further. Hope this helps!

Best,

Zach

Highlighted

Jump to solution

Thanks, Zach.

The iMac with the scanning issue uses McAfee LiveSafe personal license.

I am a Windows user since DOS and Windows95 so I am young and stupid regarding debugging an Apple product.

But, I'd love to know the clickstream to be able to attempt to fix this issue on my wife's iMac.

1. How to locate the directory /file that is seeing errors?

2. How do I add an exclusion for the directory / file type that is seeing errors?

Can you point me to the appropriate place for instruction?

Thanks very much!

Jump to solution

Zach:

I didn't realize that I wasn't in the  Livesafe forum for personal users.

I'll  submit my questions  there.

Thanks

More McAfee Tools to Help You
  • Subscription Service Notification (SNS)
  • How-to: Endpoint Removal Tool
  • Support: Endpoint Security
  • eSupport: Policy Orchestrator
  • Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
    • Learn How to Earn Badges
    • Ask for Help
    Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
    • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
    • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
    Join the Community
    Join the Community