cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Uninstalling & Reinstalling McAfee Endpoint Security on a MAC

Hi Everyone,

I have an issue with Uninstalling and Reinstalling McAfee on MACs within my companys estate.  Whenever i uninstall McAfee it will never reinstall and communicate properly with the ePO server.  This results in having to rebuild the MACs with a clean build and reinstall McAfee.  This is obviously not ideal.

I uninstall using the following commands in Terminal:

sudo /Library/McAfee/cma/scripts/uninstall.sh

cd /usr/local/
sudo rm –rf McAfee/
cd /Library/Application/Support/
sudo rm –rf McAfee/
cd /Library/LaunchDaemons/
sudo rm –rf com.mcafee.*
cd /Library/LaunchAgents/
sudo rm –rf com.mcafee.*
cd /Library/Preferences/
sudo rm –rf com.mcafee.*

If theres anyone out there with a better, cleaner and hopefully a working method i would like to hear it :-)

4 Replies
Reliable Contributor DocB
Reliable Contributor
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 2 of 5

Re: Uninstalling & Reinstalling McAfee Endpoint Security on a MAC

BigMacPaul,

My notes:

VSE

1) Open the Mac Terminal
2) Uninstall the VSE First
3) Type the following command to uninstall the VSE: Sudo /usr/local/McAfee/uninstall EPM [Enter]

Agent:

If you open up a terminal and enter the command below then you should be able to uninstall the agent.

sudo /Library/McAfee/cma/scripts/uninstall.sh

The above was shamelessly stolen from either KB articles or other folks posts here.

HTH,

DocB

McAfee Employee cookand
McAfee Employee
Message 3 of 5

BigMacPaul,

The terminal commands that you are running also partially remove MA not just EPM/ENSM. This is what you should run in terminal...

-open terminal

-sudo su - root

cd /usr/local/ 
rm –rf McAfee/ 
cd /Library/Application/Support/ 
rm –rf McAfee/ 
rm –rf com.mcafee.ssm* 
cd /Library/LaunchAgents/ 
rm –rf com.mcafee.* 
cd /Library/Preferences/ 
rm –rf com.mcafee.* 
rm –rf com.mcafee.virusscan

Reboot the machine, try to install ENSM and whatever modules you want for that client (provided you have communication with ePO... cd /Library/McAfee/agent/bin ./cmdagent running the -p/-e/-c switch).

Let me know what you find after running this, I have one last thing in my book of magic that will fix this if those terminal commands don't work.

-Andrew

Hi Cookand thanks for that but it has made no difference. 

McAfee Employee cookand
McAfee Employee
Message 5 of 5

BigMacPaul,

Hmmmm... That should have done the trick, that will list all components for EPM/ENSM on a recursive removal. The only other thing that I could suggest is that you call in to support and get a SR spun up and we can give you the Removal Tool for MAC. When you call in you can reference me if you'd like but I will most likely be on a call, but I can give that tool to whomever you speak with if it's not me. 

-Andrew

ePO Support Center Plug-in
Check out the new ePO Support Center. Simply access the ePO Software Manager and follow the instructions in the Product Guide for the most commonly used utilities, top known issues announcements, search the knowledgebase for product documentation, and server status and statistics – all from within ePO.