Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Former Member
Not applicable
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 1 of 1

Security for Mac 1.2: On-access Scan: Not Working

Problem:

I have recently upgraded to McAfee Security for Mac version 1.2.0. When I open the McAfee Security Console, the Dashboard shows the warning "Your Mac is at Risk" and "On-access Scan: Not Working."

History:

I recently upgraded from version 1.0; that version was not working when I began managing this server.

Environment:

McAfee Security for Mac Version 1.2.0 (1444)

Anti-malware

- Version 9.2.0 (4645)

- Engine Version: 5400.1158

- DAT Version 6853.0000

- DAT Creation Date: 10/2/12

Xserve

Mac OS X Version 10.7.4

2x2.26 GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon

12 GB 1066 MHz RAM

What I have tried:

- Restarted McAfee

- Restarted the machine

- Performed an update (Successful, but did not resolve the issue)

- Performed a "Scan Now" (Successful)

- Checked the Console Logs:

- Found in /var/log/system.log:

- Oct  3 12:33:51 producer com.apple.launchd[1] (com.mcafee.ssm.ScanManager): Throttling respawn: Will start in 10 seconds

- The above message repeats every 10 seconds

- Found in /var/log/McAfeeSecurity.log:

- Oct  3 12:33:51 producer McAfee: [81968]: Info: LogTime: 2012-Oct-03 12:33:51 AVAS: PID: 81230 : ScanManager::main() Starting ScanManager

- The above message repeats every 10 seconds

- Following the lead of the launchd error I investigated /Library/LaunchDaemons/com.mcafee.ssm.ScanManager (Copied near the bottom)

-The only thing I noticed that seemed out of place was the <key>OnDemand</key><false />

- Per the documentation available from apple this was depreciated so I replaced it with <key>KeepAlive</key><true /> which I believe to be the updated syntax

- Still not sure what the <key>GroupName</key><string>Virex</string> refers to

- I tried deleting it

- I tried creating a group with that name but I wasn't sure what (if any) user would need to be in it or what permissions it would need

- Neither produced any changes

- I tried manually running /usr/local/McAfee/AntiMalware/VshieldScanManager as root

- No effect: did put an extra message in McAfeeSecurity.log (same message, just outside its normall 10 second period)

- Return code of 0

- Nothing sent to stdout or stderror

- I tried reinstalling it

- In the past I have had trouble getting it to stay uninstalled. I do what I think uninstalls it and then a few days later it is back so I may not be doing this correctly

Contents of /Library/LaunchDaemons/com.mcafee.ssm.ScanManager.plist: (comments start with #)

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>

<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple Computer//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">

<!-- Copyright (C) 2011  McAfee, Inc. All rights reserved. -->

<plist version="1.0">

<dict>

<key>GroupName</key>                                                  #Messed with this key, see above

<string>Virex</string>

<key>Label</key>

<string>com.mcafee.ssm.ScanManager</string>

<key>KeepAlive</key>                                                      #Messed with this key, see above

<true />

<key>ProgramArguments</key>

<array>

<string>/usr/local/McAfee/AntiMalware/VShieldScanManager</string>

</array>

</dict>

</plist>

I would appreciate any help or suggestions to get this working.  Let me know if I can provide any more information.

You Deserve an Award
Don't forget, when your helpful posts earn a kudos or get accepted as a solution you can unlock perks and badges. Those aren't the only badges, either. How many can you collect? Click here to learn more.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community