Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
McAfee Employee skatz
McAfee Employee
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 1 of 7

Red Hat Linux 7.5

Does McAfee have a timeline for Support for RHEL 7.5 for ENS Linux?

6 Replies
Reliable Contributor twenden
Reliable Contributor
Message 2 of 7

Re: Red Hat Linux 7.5

You must be having the same issue that I am having with ENS 10.2.2 crashing RedHat 7.5.

I spoke to support last week and was told to wait for a repost of a newer ENS version 10.2.3 for Linux. The support guy is supposed to get in contact me and let me know if it supports RH 7.5 by the end of this week.

Hopefully someone on the inside of McAfee can provide a better. For us, it is causing us to wait on upgrading several Linux servers due to issues with 10.2.2.

Highlighted
Reliable Contributor Aidan
Reliable Contributor
Message 3 of 7

Tuesday 8th May was target - last info I got ....but check again with support

Reliable Contributor twenden
Reliable Contributor
Message 4 of 7

Support already gave me a RTS version 10.2.3 that works with RedHat 7.5. We have been running it on our systems with no issues with RH 7.5. You may want to contact support and request it. 

The 10.2.3 version contains the same kernel module as the 10.2.2, and thus results in the same crashes if you have OAS and use the kernel module.

Also their install script is even more broken than before, resulting in the "usefanotify" option being totally ignored now, next to the fact that before running the install script you need "export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/opt/isec/ens/threatprevention/lib" or otherwise their calls in their own install script to isecav fail in isectp-setup.

McAfee Employee tlange
McAfee Employee
Message 6 of 7

ensl version 10.2.3.1459 and ensl 10.5 both address the kernel panics that where occurring with reboots in rhel 7.5.

Agony
Level 7
Message 7 of 7

We are enduring the terror that is ENSL.  It works good on RHEL 6.x, but running it on RHEL 7.x has been like a cronic case of shin splints.  Several of my team mates have been contacting McAfee for months now.  5 months now approximately.  Techsupport clames RHEL 7.5 is supported, but we are finding otherwise.  This heap of misnamed code trash is not anywhere close to compatible.  It won't pickup a test virus on our base install of RHEL 7.5.  Updating our template to RHEL 7.5, causes a large number of failures.  Initially, it caused Kernel Panics, and their fix now causes random processor hangs on boot.  We have tried all the recent hotfixes, and updates to ENSL and we get diverse sets of problems.  My "favorite" is the random lockups due to stuck processes, and random failures during boot that cause the GUI to partially fail. 

2 fresh rebuilds and scores of MER files later, we are still in the same place with McAfee techsupport.  McAfee techsupport is still trying to place blame on our image, and our iso build with no proof.  just "try this" and "Try that".  I'm tired of spending time doing QA on thier inferior product.  Redhat is skeptical of the McAfee Kernel module.

for kickers or Recently one of our RHEL 7.4 builds went askew out of the blue with this ENSL software, and we are discovering another  consistant problem pattern that can mirraculously be relieved when McAfee is removed....  Gee I wonder where the problem could be?

No, McAfee is not compatible with RHEL 7.5.  If you are doing anything with CIFS shares and whatnot you are roling the dice for any version of RHEL 7.x. It won't even be remotely compatible until they fork out the effort to utilize the correct libraries for speculative execution, and meltdown.  If you are running McAfee and are looking to upgrade to RHEL 7. Run and hide.

RHEL 7 is great, it is just too bad that McAfee blames their problems on others.

Good luck!

More McAfee Tools to Help You
  • Subscription Service Notification (SNS)
  • How-to: Endpoint Removal Tool
  • Support: Endpoint Security
  • eSupport: Policy Orchestrator
  • Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
    • Learn How to Earn Badges
    • Ask for Help
    Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
    • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
    • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
    Join the Community
    Join the Community