cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

On access Scan showsDisabled | kernel module test failed for rhel6.3 with kernel 2.6.39-300.26.1.el6uek.x86_64 |

Jump to solution

Dear Team,

I have installed McAfee VSEL 1.9.2 successfully. How ever my On access scan is showing disabled and upon further investigation i came to know that the kernel module version is not supported by VSEL1.9.2.

Getting below result which i am running the below command

Kindly let me know how i can fix this issue and enable On Access Scan with the same kernel version.

Regards,

RKJ

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
McAfee Employee tlange
McAfee Employee
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 2 of 5

Re: On access Scan showsDisabled | kernel module test failed for rhel6.3 with kernel 2.6.39-300.26.1.el6uek.x86_64 |

Jump to solution

first 1.9.2 is supported with that kernel version.  typically the reason the kernel module isn't compiling is that there are missing packages that vsel needs to create the kernel modules.  if you run the khm_setup -c that will generate a log in the /opt/nai/linuxshield/src folder that should show where it is failing and might point to what package is missing.  see KB79939 for more information on creating the runtime kernel module.   also the files in the kb reference 32 bit packages so just replace i686 for x86_64 when looking for what is installed on the uek server.  the other option which is explained in the kb is to create the kernel module on another system and import it into this server. 

finally there is a newer version of vsel (endpoint security for linux(ensl) 10.2) that i would recommend using instead.  

see PD26513 (product guide) & PD26514 (release notes) for more info 

4 Replies
Highlighted
McAfee Employee tlange
McAfee Employee
Message 2 of 5

Re: On access Scan showsDisabled | kernel module test failed for rhel6.3 with kernel 2.6.39-300.26.1.el6uek.x86_64 |

Jump to solution

first 1.9.2 is supported with that kernel version.  typically the reason the kernel module isn't compiling is that there are missing packages that vsel needs to create the kernel modules.  if you run the khm_setup -c that will generate a log in the /opt/nai/linuxshield/src folder that should show where it is failing and might point to what package is missing.  see KB79939 for more information on creating the runtime kernel module.   also the files in the kb reference 32 bit packages so just replace i686 for x86_64 when looking for what is installed on the uek server.  the other option which is explained in the kb is to create the kernel module on another system and import it into this server. 

finally there is a newer version of vsel (endpoint security for linux(ensl) 10.2) that i would recommend using instead.  

see PD26513 (product guide) & PD26514 (release notes) for more info 

Jump to solution

​ Thank you for your reply.

Is there a way we can upgrade 1.9.2 to ensl 10.2 or we need to uninstall and install the latest ensl 10.2

Regards,

RKJ

McAfee Employee tlange
McAfee Employee
Message 4 of 5

Jump to solution

10.2 is able to upgrade directly over the previous product.

Jump to solution

​ Thank you issue got resolved after running the khm_setup -c kernel devel package was missing and after i installed the package kernel compiling was succesful and after restarting the nails OAS started working

Thank you so much for your help

More McAfee Tools to Help You
  • Subscription Service Notification (SNS)
  • How-to: Endpoint Removal Tool
  • Support: Endpoint Security
  • eSupport: Policy Orchestrator