cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need to create a default Policy for Linux for Endpoint Security Threat Protection

Jump to solution
We are trying to deploy McAfee on our Linux boxes but need help building a good default Policy for Linux for Endpoint Security Threat Protection and on-access scan. Currently running EPO 5.9.0 plan on upgrading EPO this Fall. Mcafee agent for Linux 5.6.1 and Endpoint Security for Linux 10.6.3 Thanks
2 Solutions

Accepted Solutions
Reliable Contributor User91972758
Reliable Contributor
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 2 of 4

Re: Need to create a default Policy for Linux for Endpoint Security Threat Protection

Jump to solution

Hello @padiggin,

There is a default OAS policy set in place already when it gets applied to a system. There are certain filetypes that are already set in place to be excluded. I was assigned a similar project last year.

My recommendation would be to try and contact your server / application owners and discuss what applications run on the system that may need to be excluded. More than likely their vendors will have a set list of directories that may need exemption from being scanned.

Hope this helps.

Zach

View solution in original post

McAfee Employee parul1234
McAfee Employee
Message 3 of 4

Re: Need to create a default Policy for Linux for Endpoint Security Threat Protection

Jump to solution

Hi 

Please check below KB Article for exclusions - 

https://kc.mcafee.com/corporate/index?page=content&id=KB88807&snspd-0317

At the bottom of this KB Article Default exclusions list (file extensions) is present which is recommended by McAfee, please ensure they are applied for a better performance experience. 

Was my reply helpful?
If you find this post useful, Please give it a Kudos! l Also, Please don't forget to select "Accept as a solution" if this reply resolves your query!

Thanks

3 Replies
Reliable Contributor User91972758
Reliable Contributor
Message 2 of 4

Jump to solution

Hello @padiggin,

There is a default OAS policy set in place already when it gets applied to a system. There are certain filetypes that are already set in place to be excluded. I was assigned a similar project last year.

My recommendation would be to try and contact your server / application owners and discuss what applications run on the system that may need to be excluded. More than likely their vendors will have a set list of directories that may need exemption from being scanned.

Hope this helps.

Zach

McAfee Employee parul1234
McAfee Employee
Message 3 of 4

Jump to solution

Hi 

Please check below KB Article for exclusions - 

https://kc.mcafee.com/corporate/index?page=content&id=KB88807&snspd-0317

At the bottom of this KB Article Default exclusions list (file extensions) is present which is recommended by McAfee, please ensure they are applied for a better performance experience. 

Was my reply helpful?
If you find this post useful, Please give it a Kudos! l Also, Please don't forget to select "Accept as a solution" if this reply resolves your query!

Thanks

Jump to solution
Thank this is what I was looking for. The default policy is ok but the exceptions is what it needed to keep people from complaining about McAfee slowing their systems.
More McAfee Tools to Help You
  • Subscription Service Notification (SNS)
  • How-to: Endpoint Removal Tool
  • Support: Endpoint Security
  • eSupport: Policy Orchestrator
  • Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
    • Learn How to Earn Badges
    • Ask for Help
    Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
    • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
    • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
    Join the Community
    Join the Community