Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Former Member
Not applicable
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 1 of 2

My IT department installed McAfee Endpoint Security on my Mac

My computer was purchased for me, so I can't whine about that, and I set it up and managed software personally. All was working beautifully, until IT came and ran a few scripts. Now my Mac is "remotely managed" and McAfee Endpoint Security is installed. About every 5-10 minutes my fans are running 100% and "McAfeeATP" process is running at >100% CPU usage. Apps and terminal commands hang, usually with a McAffee process running with top priority. I actually decided to wipe my computer and do a complete reinstall hoping to just remove McAfee (which apparently is deep down in the system and cannot really be "uninstalled") only to find out what "remotelhttps://omegle.onl/y managed" really means. All the software was just automatically reinstalled on my fresh Mac and I'm back to square one. What's frustrating is I have zero options enabled for the McAfee software. Its always on and I can't turn it off. If I force quit it just comes back. Why do IT departments think software like McAffee is so useful? Any small system protection it is providing is shadowed by the immense pressure and resource usage on the system. It must slow down the overall productivity and efficiency of every user... If anyone has any tips or system settings for how to manage or sequester this app I would be very grateful.

1 Reply
Saif_f
McAfee Employee
McAfee Employee
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 2 of 2

Re: My IT department installed McAfee Endpoint Security on my Mac

Hi kalinmiya68,

Looking at the problem description I assume that your Mac must be part of Active Directory system management group and is centrally controlled by IT administrators. In this case, even though you try to do modifications to the McAfee application locally, the changes will be wiped off when there is McAfee agent to server communication.

With regards to ATP process consuming 100% CPU we would need to check what applications are being run on your machine and then add exclusions accordingly. If you are administrator on your Mac, could you try to switch the machine to kext-less mode by following the instructions from below article and monitor the system performance and response.

https://docs.mcafee.com/bundle/endpoint-security-10.6.0-installation-guide-macOS/page/GUID-74D9510B-...

Was my reply helpful?

If this information was helpful in any way or answered your question, will you please select Accept as Solution in my reply and together we can help other members?

You Deserve an Award
Don't forget, when your helpful posts earn a kudos or get accepted as a solution you can unlock perks and badges. Those aren't the only badges, either. How many can you collect? Click here to learn more.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community