Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
demersd
Level 8
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 1 of 12

Multiple VShieldScanner processes

This user is having high cpu usage with those proccesses. The computer is a Mac using OSX 10.7.

cpu usage.png

This is after reinstalling the ePo agent and the antivirus.

Please advice.

Thanks.

Message was edited by: demersd on 03/08/12 2:04:20 CDT PM
11 Replies
McAfee Employee wwarren
McAfee Employee
Message 2 of 12

Re: Multiple VShieldScanner processes

Might be better served in the "VirusScan Other" forum.

VirusScan Enterprise is a Windows product.

William W. Warren | S.I.R.R. | Customer Success Group | McAfee
sudeepg
Level 10
Message 3 of 12

Is the High CPU usage happening always or in specific scenario/specific time?

It could be a DAT update during which the scanners are initialized again or it could some IO intensive task happening which is resulting in scanners working over-time.

By default you would see 3 VShieldScanner processes which serve the OAS functionality.

Additional Scanner processes can be seen for each ODS task.

You dont have to re-install the product in order to resolve this kind of issue.

Enabling the product debug logging (KB70802) would help in finding out what could be going on at that moment.

secnet
Level 7
Message 4 of 12

Check the EPO server and make sure you don't have overlaping polices, Our ISO did this to me accidentially.

Highlighted
dallasj
Level 7
Message 5 of 12

I have been suffering as similar problem but in my case the number VShieldScanner scanner processes just keeps growing. It gets to roughly 1400 instances in the activity Viewer (or `ps -ax` list) over roughly a 24 hour period then my machine hangs and I can't open anything else (not even another Chrome tab to google abbout it) The only thing I can do is restart the machine.

lupus
Level 7
Message 6 of 12

Me too - after rebooting, the processes continue to grow, with few, if any ending, as the oldest date back to a few minutes after the box was rebooted. 

The log is filled with entries like:

Mar 23 12:07:44 macbook McAfee: [6159]: Info: LogTime: 2018-Mar-23 12:07:44 AVAS: PID: 107 : Too many scan requests pending. /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/com.apple.smb.server.plist is not scanned

Mar 23 12:07:44 macbook McAfee: [6159]: Info: LogTime: 2018-Mar-23 12:07:44 AVAS: PID: 107 : Too many scan requests pending. /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/preferences.plist is not scanned

Eventually mac runs out of ram, reboot, and process starts again...

msmiley
Level 9
Message 7 of 12

I'm seeing exactly the same thing. 

[97]: Info: LogTime: 2018-Mar-27 11:39:24 AVAS: PID: 104 : Too many scan requests pending. /System/Library/Frameworks/CoreTelephony.framework/Support/CommCenter is not scanned

These entries are flooding the logs. 

Same. I've taken to manually running killall on them whenever I start to get bogged down, every few hours or so, when the number of VShieldScanner processess is around 100, just so I can keep working. Here's the command if anybody wants it for running in the terminal:

sudo killall -v -9 VShieldScanner

I have the same problem of hundreds of VShieldScanner processes starting over time until all memory is used up.

I created a crontab entry that kills them as user root:

0 * * * * pkill -f /usr/local/McAfee/AntiMalware/VShieldScanner

@mcafee: There must be a better solution, which one? What is the cause of the problem?

Tags (1)
McAfee Employee chealey
McAfee Employee
Message 10 of 12

Can you confirm which version you have installed?
Was my reply helpful?
If this information was helpful in any way, or answered your question, will you please select "Accept as Solution" in my reply, or give kudos as appropriate, so together we can help other members?
More McAfee Tools to Help You
  • Subscription Service Notification (SNS)
  • How-to: Endpoint Removal Tool
  • Support: Endpoint Security
  • eSupport: Policy Orchestrator
  • Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
    • Learn How to Earn Badges
    • Ask for Help
    Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
    • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
    • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
    Join the Community
    Join the Community