Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Level 10
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 11 of 23

Re: McAfee Security 1.0 Macintosh Malware App

To Exclude specific folders under Users profile using RegEx in McAfee Security 1.0 from ePO:

/Users/.*/<your folder path>/.*

To exclude the VMDK files residing anywhere in the machine:

.*\.vmdk - locally

/.*\.vmdk - from ePO

Some more examples for exclusions in MSM1.0/VSMAC 9.0 which utilizes RegEx

Exclude any file based on extension

.*\.ext - locally

/.*\.ext - from ePO

Eg: To exclude .log files from scannning

.*\.log - locally

/.*\.log - from ePO

Excluding Multiple files based on Extensions

.*\.(EXT)(EXT) - Locally

/.*\.(EXT)(EXT) - From ePO

Note: "/" in front is required when pusing down policy from ePO because of a sanity check that happens at ePO level.

Hope that helps.

Message was edited by: Sudeep Garg on 19/3/10 10:57:28 AM IST
Highlighted
Reliable Contributor
Reliable Contributor
Message 12 of 23

Thanks Sudeep.

That info is very useful.

I've made it into a document for future info.

Jane

Highlighted
Level 7
Message 13 of 23

Thank You Sudeep. Maybe McAfee will see this thread and add this syntax to their exclusions document.

Todd

Highlighted

Just FYI - I'm putting together a KnowledgeBase article based on this.

The article ID is: KB68562

NOTE: This is not currently published, but within the next few days it will be available in the KB.

Thanks!

Rod.

Highlighted

Rod, do you have an updated on when the article will be released?

My question has to do with what to set under the "Include these files and directories in the scan" section of the On Demand configuration.  We put /.* but are not sure if thie is adequate or too much.  Any guidance would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Highlighted

The article is published, however in it's current state it's pretty much the same as the example given earlier in the thread.

I'm hoping to update the article shortly with some more real use examples and additional info. I'll ping you when this is done.

Rod.

Highlighted
Level 10
Message 17 of 23

Rod,

Question - We have installed McAfee Security 1.0 for Mac on 10.6.2.2 OS.  It has been reported to bring the system to a crawl.  Are there recommended exclusions for 10.6.x that may need to be applied to have the system run at an acceptable performance level?

Highlighted
Level 10
Message 18 of 23

Question -

I am still seeing a major performance issues with MS Office.   In particualr Excel.... I am using version 12.1.9.

I would like to verify I am putting in exclusions properly.   Would the following exclusion exclude everything under the /Applications/Microsoft Office 2008 directory?  If not what is the correct syntax?

/Applications/Microsoft Office 2008/.*

Also what would be the proper syntax for excluding the entire drive?   I know I can resolve the performance issue by disabling the on-access scanner- so I want to know if the issue relates to file scanning or just on-access being enabled.

Highlighted

I'm trying to get my hands on the proper syntax - sorry about the delay on this.

In the meantime, please download and install VirusScan for Mac 9.0/Security for Mac 1.0 Patch 1.

Among the things that Patch 1 addresses is a delay when working with Microsoft Office applications.

For downloading McAfee products, updates and documentation, visit the downloads page at: www.mcafee.com/us/downloads/index.html.

For instructions on downloading, see: KB54808 - Downloading McAfee products, updates, or documentation.

Thanks,

Rod.

Highlighted
Level 10
Message 20 of 23

Rod,

Thanks for your reply.   We have download patch 1 and removed all exlcusions.  Performance has improved.   Another factor is that we updated MS Office to the latest patch levels.  So far so good.

You Deserve an Award
Don't forget, when your helpful posts earn a kudos or get accepted as a solution you can unlock perks and badges. Those aren't the only badges, either. How many can you collect? Click here to learn more.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community