Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jjoseph
Level 7
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 1 of 5

McAfee Agent for Mac helper tool

Hello -

Since I upgraded to MA 5.6.6 on few of my macs, I see the following window pop-up asking for admin credentials when I try launching McAfee agent status monitor -

McAfee Agent Status Monitor is trying to install a new helper tool.

On one of my mac, I uninstalled 5.6.6 and install 5.6.5 and I still get this window asking to install the helper tool.

The Macs with the original 5.6.5 dont prompt for installation when I open the agent status monitor on them.

My questions/concerns - What version of Agent for Mac has this new feature, is it 5.6.5 or 5.6.6. I dont see any documentation for this helper tool, what does it do and why is it prompting for admin credentials to install when I go to access the agent monitor? On over hundreds of Macs we have I dont want to have to put in the credentials to install this tool when upgrading Mcafee Agent, why isnt it a silent install? Anyone else having this issue?I opened a ticket with McAfee last Friday and they haven't responded back to me yet.

Sincerely,

Jisha

4 Replies
cdinet
McAfee Employee
McAfee Employee
Message 2 of 5

Re: McAfee Agent for Mac helper tool

This actually was not a change in the agent, but in ENS.  Change was made due to high cpu issue.

As per the current design McAfee Agent Status Monitor runs in User context. This would create issues once ma agent socket permission gets changed to root permission due to vulnerability of the current socket permission.  McAfee Agent Status Monitor won't be able to execute any commands if these changes are made to ma agent.

Solution:

1. McAfee Agent Status Monitor with the new changes would not parse the complete log's from start on each command execution. Instead with the current changes, it will parse only updated logs. Combined this with the solution for problem 2 described next, there is substantial improvement in performance(<20%).
  2. McAfee Agent Status Monitor with the new changes include a privileged helper tool to execute the agent commands. The helper tool gets installed on the first run of the McAfee Agent Status Monitor. During installation the user has to provide root/admin password. Once installed the helper tool runs in root context. The UI component connects to helper using secure XPC connection to execute the ma agent commands.

Was my reply helpful?
If this information was helpful in any way or answered your question, will you please select Accept as Solution in my reply and together we can help other members?

vmnguyen
Level 8
Message 3 of 5

Is there a way to allow this to run without prompting the users?

aguevara
McAfee Employee
McAfee Employee
Message 4 of 5

Hello vmnguyen

As this is controlled by ENS, then i will move this post to that group so it has right visibility

Regards
Alejandro

gururaj
McAfee Employee
McAfee Employee
Message 5 of 5

Hi,

use the ENSM 10.7.5 Version which supports catalina 10.15.6 onwards 

This release supports the macOS Big Sur 11.0 operating system.

McAfee Endpoint Security for Mac supports Apple Endpoint Security APIs and Network Extension. It does not use kernel extensions.

Regards,

Gururaj.m.d

You Deserve an Award
Don't forget, when your helpful posts earn a kudos or get accepted as a solution you can unlock perks and badges. Those aren't the only badges, either. How many can you collect? Click here to learn more.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community