Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Former Member
Not applicable
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 1 of 6

How do I fix high CPU usage on Mac?

Jump to solution

For a while, ENS has been hogging my CPU. There are at all times anything between one and eight VShieldScanner processes, all reporting 100% CPU. This makes the computer more or less unresponsive.

I have not gotten much help from the logs in finding out what the problem is. Is ENS choking on some specific files? The log only tells me that the scan queue is too long, and sometimes that it doesn't like som file, more often than not it's a configuration .plist file or a file from the McAfee installation.

In my frustration I reimaged the whole computer, but when reinstalling ENS from our ePO the problem reappeared.

Any troubleshooting help would be appreciated.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions

Re: How do I fix high CPU usage on Mac?

Jump to solution

When exactly you see this issue? during system startup or while running any specific applications?

Check if any scheduled scan configured to run at that time?

check for the recommended exclusions page number 40.

https://kc.mcafee.com/resources/sites/MCAFEE/content/live/PRODUCT_DOCUMENTATION/26000/PD26509/en_US/...

View solution in original post

5 Replies

Jump to solution

When exactly you see this issue? during system startup or while running any specific applications?

Check if any scheduled scan configured to run at that time?

check for the recommended exclusions page number 40.

https://kc.mcafee.com/resources/sites/MCAFEE/content/live/PRODUCT_DOCUMENTATION/26000/PD26509/en_US/...

Former Member
Not applicable
Message 3 of 6

Jump to solution

Thanks, the exclusions seem to really have helped, though not all exclusions seem to be accepted. The cpu issue is fixed, though I still see intermittent lag and freezes for a few seconds.

BSharma
McAfee Employee
McAfee Employee
Message 4 of 6

Jump to solution

Hello @Former Member

You may refer following KB article to troubleshoot and capture DAT for the reported issue. If you are capturing the data

Troubleshooting and mitigation steps:

1. Make sure that Scan Archive is disabled for on-access scan.
  2. Run a "ZZZ" test and check whether the performance issue can be resolved. For instructions, see KB89757. If performance is acceptable, an on-access scan exclusion should resolve the issue.
  3. If the performance issue is related to an application, try adding an on-access scan exclusion for the application folders and files.

Ref:

Troubleshoot high CPU by the real-time antimalware scanner

https://kc.mcafee.com/corporate/index?page=content&id=KB89354

Data collection for issues with Endpoint Security for Mac and Endpoint Protection for Mac

https://kc.mcafee.com/corporate/index?page=content&id=KB91366&locale=en_US

Was my reply helpful?
If this information was helpful in any way or answered your question, will you please select Accept as Solution in my reply and together we can help other members?

Former Member
Not applicable
Message 5 of 6

Jump to solution
This page cannot be found, or does not exist anymore.
Mandara
Level 7
Message 6 of 6

Jump to solution

One of our users are facing the same issue. I cannot find any content in the the exclusions reference link that is shared here Can you share the link here again ?

You Deserve an Award
Don't forget, when your helpful posts earn a kudos or get accepted as a solution you can unlock perks and badges. Those aren't the only badges, either. How many can you collect? Click here to learn more.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community