Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
faffe
Level 7
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 1 of 3

How do I fix high CPU usage on Mac?

Jump to solution

For a while, ENS has been hogging my CPU. There are at all times anything between one and eight VShieldScanner processes, all reporting 100% CPU. This makes the computer more or less unresponsive.

I have not gotten much help from the logs in finding out what the problem is. Is ENS choking on some specific files? The log only tells me that the scan queue is too long, and sometimes that it doesn't like som file, more often than not it's a configuration .plist file or a file from the McAfee installation.

In my frustration I reimaged the whole computer, but when reinstalling ENS from our ePO the problem reappeared.

Any troubleshooting help would be appreciated.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted

Re: How do I fix high CPU usage on Mac?

Jump to solution

When exactly you see this issue? during system startup or while running any specific applications?

Check if any scheduled scan configured to run at that time?

check for the recommended exclusions page number 40.

https://kc.mcafee.com/resources/sites/MCAFEE/content/live/PRODUCT_DOCUMENTATION/26000/PD26509/en_US/...

2 Replies
Highlighted

Jump to solution

When exactly you see this issue? during system startup or while running any specific applications?

Check if any scheduled scan configured to run at that time?

check for the recommended exclusions page number 40.

https://kc.mcafee.com/resources/sites/MCAFEE/content/live/PRODUCT_DOCUMENTATION/26000/PD26509/en_US/...

faffe
Level 7
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 3 of 3

Jump to solution

Thanks, the exclusions seem to really have helped, though not all exclusions seem to be accepted. The cpu issue is fixed, though I still see intermittent lag and freezes for a few seconds.

More McAfee Tools to Help You
  • Subscription Service Notification (SNS)
  • How-to: Endpoint Removal Tool
  • Support: Endpoint Security
  • eSupport: Policy Orchestrator
  • Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
    • Learn How to Earn Badges
    • Ask for Help
    Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
    • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
    • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
    Join the Community
    Join the Community