cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Endpoint threat prevention for linux - DAT update failure

Jump to solution

Hello Team,

We are using ENS for Linux 10.6.8 and the DAT gets failed every 15 days once due to space constraints in /VAR directory.

Is there a way that we can install McAfee in some other directory in Red Hat Enterprise Linux Server release 6.10 ?

The total size of VAR directory is only 2GB.

And also can we limit the old McAfee files to 1 day(DAT and old engine) 

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
McAfee Employee
McAfee Employee
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 2 of 2

Re: Endpoint threat prevention for linux - DAT update failure

Jump to solution

you can't install ensl to a different drive.

2gb is not going to be enough total space to allow updates to occur.  the minimum requirements for ensl in the /var folder is to have 4gb total space and at least 1gb free space at all times.  if the folder doesn't have that much free space then the dat process will fail and eventually will cause disk space to get used up in that folder. 

So what i would suggest is to first make sure that the dat folder only has the current dats folder in it. delete any others.  if there are multiple dats folders that means that the update process is getting interrupted and isn't able to remove the previous dat folder.  then if possible extend the /var partition so it has at least 4gb of total space. 

another option is to create a new partition called /var/McAfee with at least 4gb.  if you can do that then i would first remove the mcafee agent and ensl and reinstall once the partition is created. 

if you can't do either then you will need to make sure that the /var partition has the required free space (1gb) when the dats are updating. 

as long as the dats are able to update, there will only be the current dat folder being retained.  

finally i would suggest to upgrade to 10.7.  with that version the dat process has been changed slightly and it is using the meddats which has a smaller footprint than the dats ensl 10.6.8 is currently using. 

View solution in original post

1 Reply
Highlighted
McAfee Employee
McAfee Employee
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 2 of 2

Re: Endpoint threat prevention for linux - DAT update failure

Jump to solution

you can't install ensl to a different drive.

2gb is not going to be enough total space to allow updates to occur.  the minimum requirements for ensl in the /var folder is to have 4gb total space and at least 1gb free space at all times.  if the folder doesn't have that much free space then the dat process will fail and eventually will cause disk space to get used up in that folder. 

So what i would suggest is to first make sure that the dat folder only has the current dats folder in it. delete any others.  if there are multiple dats folders that means that the update process is getting interrupted and isn't able to remove the previous dat folder.  then if possible extend the /var partition so it has at least 4gb of total space. 

another option is to create a new partition called /var/McAfee with at least 4gb.  if you can do that then i would first remove the mcafee agent and ensl and reinstall once the partition is created. 

if you can't do either then you will need to make sure that the /var partition has the required free space (1gb) when the dats are updating. 

as long as the dats are able to update, there will only be the current dat folder being retained.  

finally i would suggest to upgrade to 10.7.  with that version the dat process has been changed slightly and it is using the meddats which has a smaller footprint than the dats ensl 10.6.8 is currently using. 

View solution in original post

You Deserve an Award
Don't forget, when your helpful posts earn a kudos or get accepted as a solution you can unlock perks and badges. Those aren't the only badges, either. How many can you collect? Click here to learn more.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community