Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Former Member
Not applicable
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 1 of 6

Endpoint Protection 2.1 on OS X command line control

Is there a way to control Endpoint Protection for Mac using the command line?  I'm particularly interested in turning off on access scan.

Using the GUI, I found that it appears that the only change is to OAS_Enable in /Library/Preferences/com.mcafee.ssm.antimalware.plist

But manually changing this value then running /Library/StartupItems/cma/cma restart doesn't seem to update what I see in the GUI.

I haven't been able to find any command line documentation, so just poking around and guessing...  😞

5 Replies
Former Member
Not applicable
Message 2 of 6

Re: Endpoint Protection 2.1 on OS X command line control

I'm curious as to why you are doing this via the command line, rather through ePO. In the ePO policy you can just uncheck the box, wake up the agent and the OAS will be disabled.

Former Member
Not applicable
Message 3 of 6

I'm not using ePO, just running EP standalone on a couple dozen MAC workstations, and quite a few more Linux systems.  I can get most of my admin tasks done via command line and now looking for how to do that with Endpoint Protection.

Former Member
Not applicable
Message 4 of 6

I will have to look into this. I have not tried to configure anything via the command line for the Macs. In the meantime you should also be able to disable OAS in the EPM console UI.

Another quesitons if you don't mind me asking. Is why you would want to shut down OAS? If you are having issues, with OAS and another application you can add it to the exclusions in the EPM console UI. I would not exclude it form ODS, just OAS.

Former Member
Not applicable
Message 5 of 6

I was unable to find where to disable this via command line. You're best bet, if you have access to support would be to call them.

Former Member
Not applicable
Message 6 of 6

Method 1:

Open terminal and run the following command:

sudo /usr/local/McAfee/AntiMalware/VSControl stopoas

Method 2:

Open terminal and run the following commands:

sudo defaults write /Library/Preferences/com.mcafee.ssm.antimalware.plist OAS_Enable -bool False

sudo /usr/local/McAfee/AntiMalware/VSControl stop

sudo /usr/local/McAfee/AntiMalware/VSControl reload

You Deserve an Award
Don't forget, when your helpful posts earn a kudos or get accepted as a solution you can unlock perks and badges. Those aren't the only badges, either. How many can you collect? Click here to learn more.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community