cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't FInd Linux HIPS or VSEL Log Files

Could someone point me in the direction of the Linux HIPS and VSEL log files on my RHEL 6 and 7 ePO managed systems?  We currently have remote logging disabled (due to security requirements).  We are experiencing issues with web apps ran on the Linux systems and I suspect that HIPS or VSEL may be to blame.  Unfortunately I can't find any log files that would indicate that a block is occurring. I also can't find any non-Windows documentation on this topic.  

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated. 

Thanks

Bobby

5 Replies
McAfee Employee AdithyanT
McAfee Employee
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 2 of 6

Re: Can't FInd Linux HIPS or VSEL Log Files

Hi @bobbyd0656 

Thank you for your post. I may not be able to resolve the actual issue here as I am not very familiar with Linux OS or VSEL, however, since you are looking for log files here, I sincerely hope this resolves your query:

The below command should show you what is being scanned by VSEL On Access Scanner:

(INSTALL_DIR)/bin/nails on-access -q

More commands to be used are listed in this KBA. I sincerely hope these are useful.

Was my reply helpful?
If you find this post useful, Please give it a Kudos! Also, Please don't forget to select "Accept as a solution" if this reply resolves your query!

Thanks and regards,
Adithyan T

Thanks for your reply. Unfortunately my server doesn't have "hipts" in /opt/Mcafee/hip.  I only have the "web" and "kernel" directories. 

McAfee Employee AdithyanT
McAfee Employee
Message 4 of 6

Hi @bobbyd0656 

Thank you for trying out and thank you for your response. Can you check for folder log under /opt/McAfee/hip/log?

If it is not there, Let me check with my peers trained on Linux to see if they can help us here. Meanwhile any experts with VSEL can probably help us here as well!

Was my reply helpful?
If you find this post useful, Please give it a Kudos! Also, Please don't forget to select "Accept as a solution" if this reply resolves your query!

Thanks and regards,
Adithyan T
McAfee Employee AjaySundar
McAfee Employee
Message 5 of 6

Hi @bobbyd0656 ,

Good day to you!

The McAfee VSEL does not have any separate log or log location as such, we record all the events, errors and other messages related to the product in the operating system's default logs.

/var/log/messages

Or

/var/log/syslog

Differs as per the Linux flavor that is being used.

Was my reply helpful?
If you find this post useful, Please give it a Kudos! l Also, Please don't forget to select "Accept as a solution" if this reply resolves your query!

Thanks and regards,
Ajay Sundar M G

McAfee Employee vivs
McAfee Employee
Message 6 of 6

Hello,

Thanks for posting a query with us.

Please refer the below KB article and check the log location file.

https://kc.mcafee.com/corporate/index?page=content&id=KB55326

Was my reply helpful? If you find this post useful, Please give it a Kudos! l Also, Please don't forget to select "Accept as a solution" if this reply resolves your query!

More McAfee Tools to Help You
  • Subscription Service Notification (SNS)
  • How-to: Endpoint Removal Tool
  • Support: Endpoint Security
  • eSupport: Policy Orchestrator
  • Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
    • Learn How to Earn Badges
    • Ask for Help
    Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
    • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
    • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
    Join the Community
    Join the Community