cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
unsureone
Level 7

Updated Mac version of SiteAdvisor?

The SiteAdvisor message board indicates that a new version of SiteAdvisor was available starting around May 10 that would fix the SiteAdvisor issue in Firefox 29. However, the updater within SiteAdvisor 2.0.205 for Mac (which was released on April 1) indicates that no new version is available, and the direct download from McAfee for Mac provides an even older version of 2.0.193.1. I've read here of Windows users receiving an updated release but nothing about Mac users. Is there any news regarding this?

Thanks,

David

0 Kudos
15 Replies
exbrit
Level 21

Re: Updated Mac version of SiteAdvisor?

I would imagine that they are two totally different products and therefore updates probably would not occur at the same intervals.   The only people who would definitely know would be Technical Support and it's free by phone or online chat and linked under Useful Links at the top of this page or here:  http://service.mcafee.com/FAQSearch.aspx?lc=1033&sg=TS&pt=1

0 Kudos
unsureone
Level 7

Thanks for the suggestion, Ex_Brit. I contacted Tech Support through online chat, but the representative I spoke to was unfamiliar with the Addon Bar issue in Firefox 29 and basically suggested to just ignore it, even after I explained the problem many times. After an hour or so, the representative finally suggested escalating it to Tier 2, which apparently requires a phone call scheduled 24-48 hours ahead of time. So, I'll see if it can be solved that way.

Thanks,
Davoid

0 Kudos
exbrit
Level 21

As far as we were told the new versions were available for new downloads and would be released to exisiting accounts on a staggered basis.

It's easy enough to doctor (Windows) Firefox to show the add-on bar in the meanwhile, just look for the Classic Theme Restore add-on.   See the announcement at the top here:  https://community.mcafee.com/community/home/web_email/siteadvisor

I don't know anything about MAC's I'm afraid and how things act in that system.

0 Kudos
unsureone
Level 7

Peter, the Classic Theme Restore add-on does work around in the problem on the Mac in Firefox 29, as does "The Addon Bar (Restored) 3.2". However, this work-around doesn't work correctly in the release candidate for Firefox 30 (for which the final version will be released on Tuesday)--the SiteAdvisor pop-up button choices don't work and it doesn't respect the settings you've made in the SiteAdvisor application. I don't know whether this will affect Windows, but it definitely will affect the Mac. I'm unclear as to whether this will be an issue to be resolved by the authors of the add-ons or whether it will have to be resolved by McAfee.

Thanks,
David

0 Kudos
exbrit
Level 21

I sometimes wonder if I might just give up using Mozilla products altogether as they seem hell-bent on breaking everything else around them.  I guess we shall have to wait and see what transpires with FF30 when it arrives.  I am not looking forward to it.

0 Kudos
exbrit
Level 21

..& I wont even start with Thunderbird......that's a whole different ball game.....   ;-)

0 Kudos
exbrit
Level 21

BTW I'm sure McAfee are working on it as we speak, but no guarantees that everything will work as desired.

0 Kudos
unsureone
Level 7

Alas, we're now at Firefox 32, and McAfee still hasn't fixed the problem regarding the Add-on Toolbar/Site Icon problem which appeared around when Firefox 29 was introduced. The issue was fixed for Windows users in SiteAdvisor 3.7 back in May. McAfee Tech Support told me, in early June, that they would work on resolving the issue on Mac, but it's now September 10, and still nothing--and that was after going to Tier 2 and trying to convince them for more than an hour that this was a problem. They seemed to have no familiarity with the problem on Mac or Windows, which says something about the quality of McAfee Tech Support, since it received a lot of publicity on the Support Forums.

0 Kudos
exbrit
Level 21

There is no problem with the Windows version as far as I know apart from the occasional grey icon due to server delays.   I have it in IE9 on Vista along with FF32 - both fine.  I also have it in IE11 and FF32 on Win 7 and 8.1 with no issues there either.

The easiest solution to any SiteAdvisor woes is to uninstall it then reboot and go to http://www.siteadvisor.com and re-download it.

Here for MAC:  McAfee SiteAdvisor Software – Website Safety Ratings and Secure Search

0 Kudos