cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Please help with Mcafee and Macbook. I'm panicking!

So today I got a Macbook pro 13" with touchbar and I bought the Mcafee Livesafe-antivirus software with it.

I went to mcafee.com/activate and put in the 25 digit code I scratched from the cardboard card that I bought. Then I gave it my email and it sent me a email where I chose my platform (Mac) and then skipped the autorenewal (credit card information etc.), I haveusps tracking a 12 mont subscription, btw. Then I accepted the user agreement and clicked the small download button. At first it didn't happen anything then I clicked it harder, the way I guess it's supposed to be pressed (I've only had my new laptop for a few hours) and it started downloading. Then I got a file and an icon on my desktop named: Macafee Macinstaller Then I sort of clicked everywhere and it gave me a file named "mcafee-mac installer-3.3.dmg" with a size of about 6 mb (if I remember correctly). Then i was confused if it was alredy downloaded due to the small size and tried downloading it again with the link from the email and got another "mcafee-mac installer-3.3.dmg (possibly with a 2 included). Then I panicked and dragged both of them to the thrash can and deleted them. Now I only have the "Macafee Macinstaller" left and don't know if I have a working antyvirus or not, do I need to download something again and how to do it and so on!

I managed to read from the internet something about the mcafee-mac installer-3.3.dmg file being an old one you should rename (i dont even know what that means)

Another question I have is if Mcafee (specifically the "Livesafe") is any good and should I use it for my macbook. I've read that it can slow the computer really much, give weird updates, be hard to remove and so on...

So can someone understand my situation please explain it to me and help me solve it, and tell be if Mcafee is good or not. A ENORMOUS thank you in advance!!! I really don't want to mess up my expensive computer I just got! Please help! (remember that I might have skipped something importnant)

3 Replies
Highlighted
Reliable Contributor
Reliable Contributor
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 2 of 4

Re: Please help with Mcafee and Macbook. I'm panicking!

hello,

congrats with your new computer.

i have to say i am not familiar with a Mac but use LiveSafe on Windows10

to download a new file goes as follows;

1. go to www.mcafee.com

2. select security for Home and a new page will appear

3. on the right top side their you see account or try; https://home.mcafee.com

4. log in with your emailadress and password

5. next to LiveSafe you see Pc, but select Mac and download the file by clicking on the red download button.

follow the instructions on screen at installation

does this help perhaps ?

greetings

Highlighted
Reliable Contributor
Reliable Contributor
Message 3 of 4

in addition to my previous post;

i read that you have MacAfee  Macinstaller on your desktop if i am correct.

the size of this file can be small because when clicking on it and installing on the computer it often does download additonal files to complete installation

(for windows machines the size of the file is even smaller at first)

also due to the nature of Mac Os is different than that of Windows computer it will install less features on a Mac computer than when you have a Windows computer.

that could also explain the small sizefile aswell

so, i would like to ask did you click or dubbelclick on the first file you downloaded on your desktop ?

if not, you don't have McAfee antivirus currently installed and can click safely on the download file for installation.

but you could check in Programs on your new Mac to check first ?........

greetings

Highlighted
Reliable Contributor
Reliable Contributor
Message 4 of 4

hello,

how is it going currently ?

did you manage to install McAfee on your new Mac computer in the meantime ?

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community