cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Output to printers blocked

I recently installed McAfee on my IMAC and installation went fine.

That is until I tried to print something using my WIFI connected printers.  Something blocked all print jobs coming from the Mac to my two Epson printers. Neither would work. I just kept getting messages that said "looking for printer" or "communication error".

I had no problem printing from my Dell Laptop PC to either printer and it also has McAfee installed so I'm guessing it's a conflict between Mac and McAfee. Both PC and Mac are connected to the same network.

I contacted Apple, they told me to remove McAfee and the problem was instantly fixed.

Any feedback here?

9 Replies
Reliable Contributor catdaddy
Reliable Contributor
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 2 of 10

Re: Output to printers blocked

Moved to Mac Products > Discussions

For better assistance.

Hopefully someone with better Product knowledge will pick up this thread and add to the Discussion.

Of course you can always contact Technical Support (Free) Online Chat/Phone being the Quickest.

https://service.mcafee.com/webcenter/portal/cp/home/contact

Cliff

Consumer Products Moderator

Cliff
McAfee Volunteer

Hi!

I have never seen mcafee on a Mac OS but this issue is probably caused by network configuration settings. Its a common issue on Windows as well and it doesnt matter what anti virus software you use. Simply go to your Firewall Settings and change the configuration from Public Network Type to Home/Work Network.

Most of the times this does the trick. If this doesnt help we could try a few more tricks.

Take care!

Reliable Contributor
Message 4 of 10

I agree in certain instances that it is elementary. For that would be what I would suggest as well. However in addition turning 'Netguard Off' could possibly help resolve this issue. This is why I suggested for the OP to contact Technical Support, as they have individuals whom are uniquely qualified to help resolve such.

Not everything is directly related to (Windows)...while indeed some is. Thank you for your contribution.

I will ping a Moderator whom is most experienced with (Mac) Products.

Cliff
McAfee Volunteer

Afternoon

Which McAfee for MAC product are you using and I may be able to help.

Regards

Rich

Volunteer Moderator

Reliable Contributor
Message 6 of 10

That was 'Quick' !   Thanks Rich..

Cliff
McAfee Volunteer

I am using MAC OS Sierra 10.12 now although I just updated it from Yosemite which is what I was using when I had this problem.

I don't know the Mcafee version for MAC. It came in an email from Mcafee after I installed the PC version and registered.

Don't sweat it now as I have removed it and everything is going fine. I have never had an issue with virus or malware with the Mac but tried the McAfee product because it was free with my trial version for PC.

Thanks.

Reliable Contributor
Message 8 of 10

I took the liberty of marking this thread as 'Assumed Answered'.

Cliff

Consumer Products

Cliff
McAfee Volunteer

When I talked to tech support at Apple, they told me that Apple products don't get viruses and that I really don't need it. Based on that, I removed it because i needed immediate access to my printers and scanners. I am leery of re-installing McAfee and having to go through all these things to get it to work.

Highlighted

An interesting statement from Apple, which seems to be the standard response but after RansomWare was weaponised on OSX via a compromised installed which did get Whitelisted by the GateKe... it would still be wise to install an AntiMalware solution on your endpoint.

We have 1200 Macbooks in use and on average detect proximal 800 Malware samples each month.  It would be fair to say that due to Market dominance Microsoft platforms are more agreesively targeted by Malware writers.

I guess it is all down to your risk appetite.

More than happy to help you out if you decide to reinstall your protection software.

Regards

Rich

Volunteer Moderator

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community